Pittsburgh Metro Area

Sure, I’ll be in touch with you guys

1 Like

I don’t live there, but I heard about a bridge collapse in the Pittsburgh area. Maybe y’all are familiar where this is at.

Biden is stopping by to talk about the infrastructure bill today, good timing! Fortunately nobody died in the collapse…

Is anyone around here growing elderberry? I’ve had wild ones but would like to try growing a few improved varieties. Any suggestions? and anyone possibly have some cuttings I could try to root? Also, does anyone have or want a few pineberries. I was thinking of ordering these: Indiana Berry Online Store: Snowy Sweet Strawberry
But I don’t need all 25, just want to do a small test area to see how the white berries do with the birds.

I only have two wild ones I grabbed at work… I’ll probably be propagating them to spread around as they go well with my pawpaw takeover plan.

Is anyone interested in going in on an order from Vaughn’s? They have fantastic pricing on good sized apples and other stuff. If nothing else, a 3/4-1" tree for 9 or 10 dollars (plus shipping) makes a great rootstock if you don’t like the varieties already grafted.

Ryan, You could probably convince me to order a few from Vaughns. I had looked at them a while back and they have a couple things I’d be interested in.

1 Like

Update - we will be looking at 7.75+ shipping for apples for anyone local interested. I don’t really want to deal with shipping as I already have a bunch of trades going on and too many plants to dig holes for :grin:

I am east of the city near Irwin but travel north to Mars for work. My brother is in the north hills and beaver weekly so he could meet up with you too.

Jason, I can go halfsies on the pineberries with you - was going to trial some this season as well

2 Likes

Anyone interested in going in on an order for rootstock? I only need 25 or so but there’s a 100 minimum order. These are all free-standing varieties:
https://www.treco.nu/products/apples/geneva-890/
https://www.treco.nu/products/apples/geneva-969/

Good prices for a half inch stock! Interested in a few (maybe). Keep me posted if you have any other interest.

Will do.

If I ordered 25 from Cummins or Burnt Ridge its 100 dollars. Which is crazy when you compare to how much you get at Treco or CopenHaven. It’s like 1.50-2.00/ea vs 3.50-5.00/ea

I will leave this for you to check through as well… I have stuck with M111 mostly for my stocks and plan to prune to maintain size. Bud9 I’ve heard has some weird disease possible in our area and this thread on Geneva gives me pause.

At one time Cummins got the rootstock it sells from CopenHaven. Don’t know about its current situation.

I have seen threads mention a weak graft union for Geneva stock. I personally have never had any problems (sample size n = 10, 3rd year or greater). It is mentioned that budding may be the problem and since I’m terrible at budding I’ve gotten lucky with whip and tongue.

I’m hesitant to go MM.111 or MM.106 because they seem to take a long time to come into fruit. Even my M.7 trees have yet to do anything while my G.41 which are much younger continue to impress. Anecdotal, for sure.

B118 may be the next up if the graft union thing is a true concern.

Rootstocks are so controversial. To me G.890 is the pick if you listen to WSU:
http://treefruit.wsu.edu/varieties-breeding/rootstocks/

Happy to jump in on a order if anyone is up for it.

1 Like

How is everyone faring through the 2022 March blooming snowpocalypse? My Jeanne gooseberries and honeyberries have already leafed out and my Seckel pear branch is ready to bud out, but otherwise my stuff outside is still pretty dormant and I think it will survive just fine. I’m not terribly worried about the berries, they like the cold.

My pears and plums woke up a little but everything else is still dormant. This is just too cold. I was able to get my tomato and pepper seeds started today.

1 Like

I’ve been out of town for work for the past week, getting back tomorrow, so haven’t had a chance to check on things. I have an in ground fig which I uncovered last week that was still fully dormant. Rest of stuff should be fine. Most of my plants are on a north facing slope and generally leaf/bud out a week or 2 later than elsewhere.

As a side note, northern exposures can work well for stuff tends to get hit by early frosts. Everyone always wants a sunny southern exposure but sometimes a northern exposure can be your friend.

1 Like

Does anyone know of a place that might have early pawpaw pollen? I may have flowers on one tree for the first time and wanted to try my hand at hand pollination. I’m not sure when I will have blooms but wanted to be prepared.