Planning on a big autumn olive harvest

I’ve seen tons of Russian olives, a related and distinctive plant with much thinner silvery leaves. Autumn olive has much wider leaves and they are only silvery on the underside of the leaves…

At least here in SE Mi.

Scott

1 Like

my seaberries had nasty thorns when they were younger. i pruned the tips as they came out. now theres barely any coming out further up.

1 Like

I’ve got a few plants with pretty wicked thorns. Che, Seaberry, poncirus, autumn olive to name a few.

I either pinch off the tips of the thorn when its new and soft or I will sometimes just clip off the tip as I’m otherwise pruning.

This works well, especially with poncirus (which is the plant I seem to be poked by most anyway)

Scott

2 Likes

Will AO and goumi pollinate one another? Anyone know?

1 Like

got a huge cedar sliver under my middle nail while splitting kindling once. that thing felt like a hot poker under there! the oils from the wood irritated it further. finally, 4 days later i went to the dr. my nail never grew back right after they took it out. pain was so bad i wanted to cut my finger tip off!

1 Like

I may have a hybrid of the 2, it will fruit this year and I’ll be sure to post photos when it does.

3 Likes

Was it a hybrid?

I have around 25 very large bushes over 20 feet tall. There are bushes with very yellow blooms and others with very white blooms as shown in the photo. The yellow are very good bushes and there are less of them. Grafting could be done so easily and this berry could be improved quickly in my opinion to get a much larger size and heavier production. I’m shocked just a few improved types have been made. Today is 4/27 So you can see how good these berries could be in a marginal area with late freezes. To bad they are an invasive in some places. These bushes were started in my problem areas where I could not grow other things. I planted them as goumi bushes but as we know that is not what they turned out to be. The now closed Lawyer nursery sent these out for an inexpensive price.

5 Likes

My ‘Amber’ is by the front door and looks elegant. I keep it pruned to about five feet tall, so it doesn’t shade the Yuzu ichandrin behind it, and so it doesn’t dominate the front.
I know I sacrifice fruit production for ornamental value. I get a few handfuls of fruit most years.

I have photos, but Safari (or gremlins) won’t let me upload them. I’ll try another browser.

2 Likes

Nope. Can’t upload photos to Growing Fruit. Tried drag & drop, and Upload icon. Both give me the error message that the file’s too big, must be <5000 KB, but it’s 177 KB.
How do you all do it?

1 Like

I think if you’re new you can’t? Have to wait a while or so I have heard.

1 Like

You can take a lower resolution photo or screen shot. At first not as much permission is given.

Berries are developing in very large numbers!

7 Likes

Big harvest is an under statement. You can see its easiest to harvest these by running your hand down the branch holding the bucket underneath. Used an old ice cream tub to harvest these berries it’s as easy an anything. Have lots of these bushes. These bushes are incredibly good for the soil, birds, small animals. Everyone who eats them always comments they feel really good afterwards. To bad there an invasive in so many places. I blew up a photo so you can clearly see the silver dots on the red fruits.

6 Likes

Do know if they would do well in mostly shaded areas against wood lines? How sweet are they?

1 Like

The fruit grows in all varieties the problem is finding it. A friend decided he didn’t like it until he tried one bush I grow and he ate those in large quantities. The bushes all taste differently. The berries don’t ripen as fast in all shaded areas. Today is November 13th and some are still not ripe. 98% are ripe but those are not in heavy shade.

1 Like

What are they?

1 Like

@mrsg47

Autumn berry are also known as autumn olive. Here is more about them Propagating Autumn olive (Elaeagnus umbellata) . Some websites still sell named types Buy Punch Bowl Autumn Olive (Organic), Autumn Olive (Elaeagnus umbellate) | Planting Justice

1 Like

How do you use them? Juicing? Taste (feel better soon Clark!, Thinking about you!)

2 Likes

I have a collection from growing justice nursery and sadly, mine taste worse than some of the best cultivars I’ve identified wild in local parks. (Smaller, more tart and less productive)

:neutral_face:

1 Like