Please help save my cherry tree!

My Black Gold was off to a great start, but now I am concerned about it dying.

Some people have suggested Canker, some borers.

But I don’t have confidence as to what it is or what to do.

I have pressed on the bark on the dark patches. It is rather soft there, and feels as though there is some fluid behind.

But I don’t know if I should try to shoot some insecticide behind the bark, or just do nothing, or push pins in it here and there trying to kill a worm.

These photos were just taken and may give you more insight.

Thank you!

PS I am in zone 6b of Central Kentucky. The only thing I can think of that I may have done was give it too much fertilizer. But I really didn’t give it that much. That was in the middle of March.

I’ll share my experience: I suspect this is bacterial canker. I’ve encountered this issue before and able to manage it by spraying Copper Soap weekly for several sessions. Old post here: Sweet Cherry Recovers from Bacterial Canker. The tree was on a Gisela rootstock. Good Luck!

2 Likes

Very encouraging, thank you!

John

Nearly all of my heirloom/antique varieties of sweet cherry get canker, sometimes really badly, but they almost always recover. Here’s a pic of typical damage - this tree had nearly half the trunk infected but now the wound is nearly healed. I’m on the west coast and I don’t treat the wounds. Canker is not always a death sentence.

1 Like