Pluots and other hybrids list. Rankings and myth busters

The best to my taste are Flavor Supreme and Flavor King.

Cot n candy for me was a soft yellow fruit similar to a white apricot. It was inferior to all of my top apricots: Tomcot, Robada, Orangered and several others.
Dapple Dandy is good but not great. Produces well. I won’t grow again.
Emerald Drop second tier but worth growing.
Flavor Grenade is very good if grown right.
Geo Pride is top notch but below FS and FK.
Nadia small and medium quality. Won’t grow again
Splash mid range plum like
Flavorella very fragrant and unique but tends to be sour. Very good if sweet enough. Drops badly
Flavor Delight inferior to top apricots
Summer delight I’m very excited about. Very late apricot.
Spice Zee middling nectarine. Honey series is better.

9 Likes

I am not sure the amount of chill hours we have. I am sure it is heavily mixed though. Some years September is very warm other years while not freezing in September it can routinely get under 45. October I am sure we routinely get below 45 on a regular basis with no freeze until late October or November and once it freezes cool temps will continue until mid May. The thing on where I live is we have cold winters which can be hard but we have blazing summers which leads to wonderful fruit production and my trees have never been diseased by fungus here. I have had to deal with aphids, late frosts zapping fruit and animals but not fungus yet. I always look for fruit that claims CO when I am looking for things like peaches. Sadly no cherries and a lot of other fruit from here but our peaches are often from here.

5 Likes

I have the Sultry Sunset (One Green World). Hope it will fruit this year. It is not hardy here so I have in in an underground greenhouse. Supposed to be early and self fertile.

I have a hard time telling the difference with the greens but it looks like I have 1200 to 1600. Surprisingly it looks like the people on the other side of CO and Nevada have more than me. I guess we likely dip too far below too often to get those extra chill hours.

You get all you need, 1200-1400. Western CO gets more just for the reason you suggest. You spend too much time below freezing. Notice that North Dakota gets way less than WA state. ND has many days below freezing all day. WA state esp western WA has many days where it’s 30s and 40s all day long.

2 Likes

Here in Portland, right on the 3400 chill-hour line, there are commonly entire weeks Nov-Jan where the 24/7 temperature stays in the chill zone. Kind of like Goldilocks, if you like your porridge on the cold side.

1 Like

Yes. Cold, dark, and wet…:roll_eyes:

Its more or less same latitude as i am in Portugal, but climate sounds tottaly different.
What Zone are you at?

Most of the lowlands from Portland to Seattle are USDA zone 8a/8b, and Köppen climate zone Csb (warm-summer Mediterranean). So that would match roughly the climate of some of the higher elevation areas in the north of Portugal.

So it matches after all
Can you grow avocados at your area,?What about olives? Are you in a cherry region?

I have create a new thread to talk about fruits and climates
We are going a bit off topic here but this discussion its of high value
Join climate discussion here

Sorry to go a little off topic here, but does this look like Flavor King? I got my scion from a CRFG exchange and am not certain it’s true.

1 Like

No, that’s not FK. It’s the wrong shape and looks to have a freestone pit. The color is close.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s what I was thinking. I had grafted 4 of these hybrids a couple years back and the aprium is clearly bogus, and this one didn’t seem right to me either. I guess it’s top working time!

Is the flavor good?

1 Like

It’s an interesting looking plum. Freestone is not very common for Asian plums and pluots. How is the flavor?

1 Like

@Bradybb @Stan It’s pretty good, we ate the whole crop happily, texture is crunchier and less juicy than I’d expect compared to other tree ripened pluots I’ve had. But it’s not good enough for all the praise I hear about Flavor King

2 Likes

Flavor King is special, you would not mistake its flavor for anything else.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I hear. I love Flavor Supreme. I definitely need to get the real thing this time

1 Like