PNW growers: what's the most unique thing you grow out in the open?

Pacific Northwest growers: being zone 8 means there is a ton we can grow, but I’m curious about what people are actually getting to fruit, since we have cooler shorter summers than other zone 8’s (and also, the odd record breaking cold snap). I’m curious about what you have growing in ground, out in the open (can be winter protected… just not in a greenhouse) that is giving you fruit. Would love to know which variety/varieties are working for you, and under what conditions.

Things I’m growing (whether it is worth it or not) that I’d love to hear about include: akebia, chilean guava, feijoa/pineapple guava, jujube, citrus, loquat, maypop, olives, pawpaw, pomegranate, prickly pear, etc. Feel free to share anything outside of this list you think is unique and cool to grow!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Here are some threads that you might find interesting:

And this one of course:

Those are just a few examples, but you can find others using the search feature I’m sure.

Most of my zone pushing stuff is still too small to fruit, but the thing that has surprised me the most in terms of taking minimal damage even in our worst freezes is guabiju, but it’s been very slow growing and probably won’t reach fruiting size for many many years:

Thanks for the welcome :slight_smile:! I guess I was trying to cheat having to sift through thousands of comments to find what I’m after (even though I already have - I’ve been lurking on this forum for a while before joining), but looks like that’s the way things are done here.

Seems like a lot of people here are in a similar spot in terms of their “zone pushing” fruit trees still being quite young, which makes sense as we get more availability to newer/different varieties. Never heard of the guabiyu before - looks cool!

2 Likes