Polar vortex 40 plus, me O

My Eureka was completely unaffected. Fully leafed out now. The Hyachia… Hyciata… Something with an “H” :rofl: that I planted in October from a 5 gallon pot has just put out buds on the bottom half.

1 Like

Never ever give up. You have a big rootstock that will regrow quickly to regraft with hardy hybrids for fruit in 2 or 3 years!
And if some resprout above the graft they may regrow so fast you get fruit next year!
You have lots of root energy established.
I would give it a few months and then decide a plan after you get 3 ft of growth from the trunk in june and see if you are above the graft or if you need to regraft with hardy hybrids next spring. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Paulin, this time of the year could more challenging than were I am, having some lake effect only means a couple degrees. So, I am use to P/V’s.
Starting today temps are more steady to go about not worrying about crazy temps swings. Hail maybe.
Returns from our efforts may we forget this soon.
Looking forward to building a new h/d heavy transporter for large containers. The one I built a couple years ago needs some improvement. Things going to be interesting, really looking forward.

1 Like

after almost 2 weeks of rain it was finally dry enough for me to walk through the new section of my orchard. To my surprise, Saijo, Fuyu, and Giant Fuyu have all sprouted new growth finally! still leaves me with 1 Saijo, Chocolate, and coffeecake looking dead from the storms.

3 Likes

That’s great!!! I’m also finding good surprises. Today…with no rain and some good sunshine I was weedeating the foot high grass around my trees. Several persimmons had put out shoots, some of rootstock and some of Kaki. The Giombo and Sheng that I thought were crispy dead had lots of virginiana shoots coming out. When I started pruning back some of the shoots I found that Giombo had some growth too and Sheng has a green bud above the graft line. It is amazing how strong plants can be.

Rain starts again tomorrow! :grimacing:

4 Likes

Most of mine have recovered including this one, a Pulu, not a true name, just another Fuyu.

5 Likes