Pomegranate Success! in Mid-Atlantic. I live in Chesapeake VA, which is very near the coast. We have HOT humid summers, but I have had success with my pomegranates

Thank’s! And between Medovyi Vasha and Vkusnyi? Any of this is clearly better?

2 Likes

Vkusnyi is supposed to have more flavor.

2 Likes

Thank’s!

2 Likes

Great video! He convinced me to get Azadi variety… :+1:

-Pomegranate-Azadi - YouTube

2 Likes

Thanks for the video’ I was planning to get ‘Azadi’ next year, for a special project that I helped to start, now I am even more excited at the thought of getting it. It’s hard to find a very sweet yet flavorful variety. That skin color is awesome too.

2 Likes

Thank’s! :+1:

2 Likes

The first 5 photos that I shared in this post Pomegranate Success! in Mid-Atlantic. I live in Chesapeake VA, which is very near the coast. We have HOT humid summers, but I have had success with my pomegranates - #250 by alanmercieca were over ripe pomegranates, when they are over ripe their skins harden, if left long enough then the peels dry out like they are when dried with a food dehydrator, eventually turning brownish black at the most dry. Surprisingly the insides are still edible, yet very dangerous opening them, them being so hard. Yet I think that it turns the fruit sourish when they are over ripe like that. Some day I will be able to write up a good article about fruit ripening, and how to know when to pick.

1 Like

@alanmercieca and @Luisport

Granada is one of my favorites. Very very flavorful (here in VA). I don’t find the seeds to be that hard. And I find that I miss the ‘crunch’, when the seeds of a variety are too soft. I’ve grown to expect that ‘crunch’ when eating a pomegranate!

My Granada’s seeds are not as hard as some other varieties I have. And if the Granada fruit has the ‘right amount of water available’ - the fruit can be quite large and the arils ‘plump’ too. It IS sweeter than Wonderful. And ripens earlier, which is a plus. Also, on my trees - the Wonderful’s fruit has a bit harder seed.

Keep in mind that all of the fruit on one tree is not consistent. Just like the variation in any other tree’s fruit. One pomegranate might be really sweet in comparison to another of the same size - that is much tarter. Who knows why?!!! - Other than that it is a living thing and not ‘machine made’. I pulled one lovely Granada a week ago - that was almost totally sweet, with very little tartness. It had very large juicy arils with few noticeable seeds. And another - will be completely different! It’s an adventure - for sure! But, I’m not growing them for commercial use - so don’t need the fruit to be consistent. And that makes it a lot of FUN!

5 Likes

I just got 4 new pomegranates, Desertnyi, Ariana, Black Candy and Vkusnyi. Will get Sirenevyi and Azadi too…

4 Likes

Desertnyi
Ariana
Black Candy
Vkusnyi

3 Likes

Hi,
Nice to find this thread. I’m trying Salavatski, Afganski and a couple of others in Silver Spring MD zone 7a home garden. They survive winters well, are getting bigger, I had flowers in the summer 2020, but not this year. No fruits developed yet.

5 Likes

I just ate my 2021 pomegranate harvest … one Salavatski. We have not had any lows below 30F and I am just keeping various things hanging on the trees. It was excellent, the best pom I have had from my orchard. The arils were very large and deep red in color. Fuzzy kiwis and persimmons are also excellent now, and I plan on harvesting them soon.

9 Likes

@scottfsmith

YAY!!!

I know you probably get a bit cooler temps than I do. (?) But - I would suggest you try a Granada. . . . if you are up for it. They seem to do the very best - out of all the varieties I grow. Purple Heart, too. But that one is quite tart. And the arils are on the small side. Hotuni Zigar’s fruit matured earlier than others - and they were very good. All of these had better flavor than my Wonderfuls. And the Wonderfuls just don’t seem to be consistent for me. Puny and they mature too late to escape the fungus.

My Afganskis and Salavatskis may not be mature enough to make a definite call . . . so I’m reserving judgement for another year or two. I am rooting some cuttings from some of my favorites. And finding it’s true . . . . the older plants are more reliable ‘rooters’.

@vkelman
Vladamir - I would suggest the same for you. Try a Granada. You are in a cooler zone than I - so I’d plant near a southern exposure wall. But, Granada ripens early. And that gives you about a month or more, head start - for the fruit to develop properly. Granada also seems to just naturally set more fruit.

Perhaps you can push the fruit development on your Afganski and Salavatski by doing some hand pollinating. One fellow on YouTube swears by ‘taking a hose and showering the blossoms’ - to spread the pollen. I avoided that because I didn’t need any additional moisture. But, maybe it works? It certainly is an easy enough method.

2 Likes

Report on Cutting Calyxes Off of Blackening Fruit!

This actually worked. If you have a lot of fruit - on many trees - it might be a tough thing to accomplish. But - it did seem to work on the fruit that I caught in time.

It makes sense that cutting off the calyxes halts the spread of the black fungal issues. - - - because the disease starts in the blossoms.

At first sign of blackening - at the tips of the calyx - I took my ‘alcohol treated’ clippers . . .
and snipped off the calyx.
I continued to spray for fungal issues. And the fruits continued to develop - not seeming to miss the calyxes at all.

4 Likes

I just wonder to grow pomegranate in containers, how large a pot we need to get some ripe fruits?

I can try to wrap the tree in open field. But it can still be killed in ground with any major polar vortex.

Central NJ zone 6(B?)

2 Likes

@RedSun

Russian hardy Roots were hardy here for several years in zone 6 they are tough. They sprouted up several times when I experimented with them.

2 Likes

So it is worth trying growing in ground?

I may try to find a sheltered area near the house. So I can replace landscape trees.

2 Likes

@RedSun

No I couldn’t keep the top alive without protection but they are more cold hardy than people think Cold hardy pomegranate

2 Likes

I am in southeastern VA. Much warmer than you. I’ve only had one pomegranate variety die back, so far, from the cold. That was ‘Wonderful’.

I never take mine indoors, but many people do. I would go with the largest container you are able to move around without ending up in traction! Most of the pomegranate varieties grow to be so wide - and with all those thorns - they are difficult to work with . . . even when they are not in your living room! I got myself a good pair of ‘rose’ gloves with tall arms, because every time I prune a pomegranate tree - I end up with all sorts of gashes on my arms.

Anyways . . . you probably know most of what I mentioned.
Answer to your question - Go with as big a pot as you can manage. :grinning:

4 Likes

I’ll start with the 4 poms I get now. My fear from reading here is that, those trees may never ripen fruits on time to harvest. Even in large containers. Any varieties you can recommend with short period to maturity?

I know with figs, we do have some of those.

1 Like