Ponderosa lemon #2

I am giving this a second try. The first one I dug up after a cold scare in late Dec. Dumb dumb me. Still learning about the whole in ground growing.

Here is the new Ponderosa planted in the same spot Feb 11

6 Likes

Here it is a month later and it’s starting to grow. Tiny purple blooms starting to form.

4 Likes

Nice little lemon. My ponderosa has produced two lemons so far. It is a pot plant and I bring it in under lights for the winter. Ponderosa is an incredibly forgiving plant, unlike the Meyer which is kind of a Diva.

1 Like

It’s full of blooms now, first one opened today. Ponderosa lemon April 10

2 Likes

Ponderosa doing quite well

5 Likes

update Nov 2

The fruit is bigger then a baseball now!

6 Likes

Feb 3
Ponderosa growing again!

Ponderosa in full bloom

4 Likes

First Ponderosa lemon!

4 Likes

Hey everyone , so the ponderosa has been battling scale. I have been spraying. Now there is new growth, I think that’s a good sign. I still have to be careful.
Feb 22 two years in the ground

1 Like

Here is a little update, it seems to be doing well. There has been a bit of scale but nothing a toothbrush can’t fix.
Sept 27 2022

2 Likes

Ponderosa lemon after another flush of growth. This thing is hardy as ever! last winter there were a few nights of cold…slightly below freezing. Not one leaf dropped or had any sign of cold damage or stress. I’m very impressed with citrus.
Nov 21

2 Likes

This has to be the most forgiving lemon you can grow. I had left mine outside and it dropped to 19F overnight, lost all of the leaves, but it came back in the spring like a champ. i usually only get 1-2 lemons a year, depending on the wind blowing the pot over.

1 Like

Feb 14 - We are getting more sunny days now! (finally). As you can see things are waking up after a good watering. Just celebrating it’s third years in the ground.

2 Likes

March 17 2023
Well i’m back from Thailand! Here is the ponderosa this morning! lots of new growth. It seems to only be growing from the top branches. Should I tip them to encourage other lower branches to shoot out? or leave it?

1 Like

Well here was the fruit 2023 Dec 15!
I just picked the last fruit in January.

1 Like

March 25

2 Likes