Possible new jujube variety?

I met @PaulinKansas6b to purchase a bunch of jujube trees. I found a person selling a bunch of trees and we ended up with quite a few trees that varied 3 to 10 foot. They do not know the variety, but they dig all the sprouts that come up from around their tree and pot. These new plants produce the same good fruit as the parent and grandparent tree according to them. The trees are not thorny like jujube rootstock, so evidently this was not a grafted tree when originally planted. We will post pics of the fruit this year. This is the second biggest jujube tree I’ve seen in Kansas. I’m not sure if this is a variety already out there, but from the looks of the grandparent tree, this is a pretty old tree. We should both have lots of scionwood for trading.

25 Likes

Girth makes me think it is >40 yrs old.

6 Likes

I sure wish I knew more history on this tree, we are working on it.

2 Likes

Yes we are pretty excited!!! It sure was a blessing to find this! And it was great getting to meet @ctduckhunter !! It is for sure not rootstock. The fruit will be exciting to try!! This sure pushes our jujube planting forward by years!! I and Dad have been planting and it is late may already but it has been a cool spring and we are having a cool cloudy spell the next few days with a rain storm so we feel pretty good about it since they are not bare root so the shock should not be too bad.

11 Likes

@ctduckhunter and @PaulinKansas6b,
Are the mother and grandmother trees in Kansas?

It sure is exciting to see jujube trees that produce children and grandchildren with the same quality.

It is surprising to see such a large jujube tree in the middle of the country.

6 Likes

Yes, there is a grandmother tree, around six mother trees and the guy had around 50 daughter trees. It was pretty unbelievable.

3 Likes

Nice meeting you and your dad too Paul! Sure appreciate the Jerusalem artichoke, mints, and the winter squash.

1 Like

I am quite interested in knowing more about these jujubes. What does the owner do with all the fruit?

How did you find out about the owner? Lucky you.

3 Likes

I just got lucky to find them. The grandmother tree is a different landowner than the rest of them. I’m not sure what they do with all their fruit. I do know that the fruit size looked fairly good size from another photo and he said they are really sweet and very crunchy. This is the only variety they have, they are not orchard growers with lots of varieties.

5 Likes

I’m with ya, it is very hard to believe this monster jujube tree is in Kansas. Here is a pic of one that I think is a little bigger yet that is also in Kansas.image

11 Likes

I definitely would wait to hear reports from you and @PaulinKansas6b about the quality of the fruit from these trees.

Does he sell his jujube trees on line? The trees you got were a good size.

3 Likes

Back then the two earliest imported were Li and Lang. Since the tree was selffruiful then it is probably a Li because a Lang needs cross pollination for fruits set.

4 Likes

We will definitely report back on fruit. I’m pretty sure he only sells for cash, no online stuff. We can probably help him sell some though if they are really good. We got some really nice sized trees, several 8 footers.

3 Likes

Wow! What amazing trees. Your suckers might fruit this year with luck. I’ve had jujube fruit at a smaller size than 8 feet but those were grafted.

2 Likes

Some of the ones we bought fruited for him last year, but who knows. Hopefully they adjust to planting and produce this year, sure would be nice! If not, I’m going to go buy some fruit from him off his other daughter trees to see what I can look forward to.

4 Likes

Tony, what are the odds of this being something different? Happens all the time with figs appearing in the US. You are probably right, we will have to wait and see.

2 Likes

There is a good chance though because most of the Li and Lang were grafted back then and not on their own roots. If this tree root suckers are the same as the parent then the original tree may be a good seedling by chance. I hoped it is a good seedling from the start. Good find.

6 Likes

wow! one more beautiful juju specimen @ctduckhunter.

that tree has proved its mettle for several decades. Probably should tell your mayor to it deserves a plaque of recognition :wink:

4 Likes

A man in a neighboring town has a Jujube tree that is about 20 foot tall that has nice jujubes. It has several suckers on his property that grows the same. The fruit is oblong and very good. He says it just appeared there many years ago.

It’s exciting to find these trees growing in odd places!

9 Likes

Maybe the Kansas tree is a Sherwood? They’ve been around awhile and grow on their own roots.

3 Likes