Potted Tam Kam nonastringent Asian persimmon

These Tam Kam are turning yellow. Hopefully, I will get to taste them in a few weeks.

Tony

16 Likes

Those are beautiful Tony, what a lovely shape. Please tell us how they taste!

1 Like

Lovely!! Yum!!!

Katy

Tony,
What’s the pot size?
How long it takes to fruit in a pot?
Very nice.

1 Like

They are in the 15 gallons pots. I grafted them three years.

1 Like

And how do you over winter those pots ?

Do they need a dormancy ?
Keep as a house plant. .?
Or let the frost get them , store in garage ?
I am new to Asian persimmons.

I let them dropped all their leaves and bring them in my unheated tornado shelter around the first week of November. In the Spring, I bring them back out door around the 2nd week of April.

1 Like

Thanks
I have read your methods of wrapping , light bulbs , and deep burial .
I think if I buried the graft that deep -1ft. The root would be 2ft,Here in my heavy clay the root would die.
Wondering about a permenat mound of dirt / mulch/ container of dirt mulch etc. that stays there the year round,
Would a big pile of mulch 1-2ft above the graft be a problem if it was left there year round, maybe like a bucket or barrel ,full of mulch ,that stays around the trunk

Aren’t they slow to ripen? I have one in a pot with two fruits…still green.

I just cut up one of the Tam Kam nonastringent Asian persimmon fruit. It is sweeter than my old Ichi nonastringent Asian persimmon. Very tasty.

Tony

7 Likes

Beautiful. My Jiro is starting to develop a nice color too. I hope it is tasty this year unlike last year when it was completely bland.

1 Like

Looks delicious. Does growing them in pots reduce fruit size? Hopefully, mine will keep some fruit next year. It’s young so all the flowers dropped.

The tree will be small but the fruit size will be the same as inground tree.

2 Likes

Harvested the last 4 fruits from my 4 potted Tam Kam trees. Quite large fruits.

Tony

11 Likes