Prok and Yates American persimmons

Can’t go wrong with Early Golden … still one of the best. Prok is too bland for me. G-44 is an unheralded gem as well. I also like Ruby and H-118 a lot.

2 Likes

I imagine you’re ripening window is somewhat narrow in Spokane, given your latitude and zone. Mohler is maybe the earliest and one of the tastiest. They ripen about Sept. 1 here, maybe a little sooner for you @resonanteye

1 Like

What’s your thoughts on Lena and H-63a? I added Ruby this year, plus I have some Morris Burton and some Morris Burton #3 (is that different) I plan to graft, but I have scions for Lena and H-63a as well, which I haven’t heard as much about in terms of taste and ripening time.

Morris Burton #3 is a cross of MB and another variety. The plain MB sticks were the real ones. The seed is Meader X 400-5 male hybrid offspring of Rossyanka. Mine has sprouted. The rest are as labeled.

I grafted H-63A this year as well. When looking over all of the persimmon talk on the forum it had the most likes. It’s also a strong grower with 6 inches of growth already. Some of the other varieties have yet to leaf out.

3 Likes

Haven’t tested Lena or H-63A yet. Grafted Lena last weekend but not sure if it’ll take yet. Haven’t had the Morris Burton(s) either, but it was a favorite of both James Claypool and J.C. McDaniel. C-100 (offspring of Morris Burton) was very nice when I tested it at Jerry Lehman’s place. My graft of it is on some crappy rootstock so it’s not as nice at my place (need to regraft it on better rootstock).

So far this year I’ve grafted:

Lena
Marion
Madison (I think might be Golden Gem)
Cataract
Wolverine
Zombie
Halloween
Gateway
L-32
Kinnewan (not sure if spelled correctly)
U20A (Celebrity)
Union Star
Hershey Fruit Dump
100-63 Male
100-49 Male
a Garretson x Garretson cross
a Killen x Killen cross
a Garretson x Early Golden cross

Still need to graft:
H-100 Male
D-104 Male
I-66

1 Like

I added several varieties this spring via graft to my own wild dv rootstock.

Kassandra
JT02
Nakittas Gift
WS8-10
Prok
Zima Khurma

Off to a good start.

3 Likes

CHop down the sweetgum tree and grow shiitake mushrooms on it.
john S
PDX OR

3 Likes

on the hunt for mohler this fall. my little prok (?) will need a friend, and the other bare root mystery American persimmon hasn’t leafed out.

1 Like

This is from my potted tree. I grafted a few varieties on it but only Prok and an unknown have survived.

I have seen people said their Prok dropped a lot of fruit. Mine seems to keep all.

12 Likes

Looks great! How big is that tree now?

That is more fruit than is left on my 14 foot tall in ground tree! Maybe I should have left it in a container.

1 Like

@jcguarneri and @zendog
The tree is in a 15 gallon pot and about 4 ft tall.

It was taller in the spring when I grafted Tam Kam, Jin Yong and 20 Century on it. The grafts grew a bit and all died. Look like incompatibility but it still puzzled me. I hacked the unsuccessful grafts of so this what left.

10 Likes

Actually there are more fruit on other branches. This branch has 4 fruit but each fruit is bigger than the ones on the productive branch.

See the bottom of this one.

8 Likes

Here is mine. When it dropped so much fruit this spring it made me mad so I cut back the top and grafted about 6 different varieties of Kaki, Hybrid and American on top. The Gora Roman Kosh and Ruby were some of the first and already have about 4 feet of growth. I just put on Journey and Bohzy Dar a couple weeks back so those may be too late. It will be interesting they fruit at all next year to see how they hold compared to the remaking Prok.

Here is one of the 11 remain Prok fruit after it dropped at least 150. Almost wondered if it was a mislabeled Nikita …

8 Likes

I hope that is not Nikita’s Gift.

I don’t really understand persimmon grafting compatibility.

I dug up 3-4 root suckers from my friend’s yard 4 years ago. I put one in ground. Over the year, on the inground one, I grafted Morris Burton, Prok, Chuchupaka, Inchon, etc. Only Prok and Morris Burton have survived. The others grafted grew a bit and died.

This year, I grafted 3 more, Garretson, Early Golden and an unknown. The first two are thriving and the unknown did not make it.

I put 3 rootstocks in pot. One rootstock I grafted a JT-02, and another I grafted Rojo Brillante and the third is Prok. All 3 are doing well.

Then, this year, on the Prok in pot, I grafted Tam Kam, Jin Young and 20 C. Grafts grew a few inches and died.

I’m confused.

2 Likes

Here’s my one Prok fruit from my potted tree this year. It had 3 but cast two of them pretty early on. It dropped off of the tree today. Couple more days to ripen and it’ll be good to go.

Here is the parent tree next to my Nikita’s gift.

It sounds like between these two I have the makings for a heartbreak hotel.

4 Likes

In my limited experience, I’ve found that Asian persimmons and some hybrids have a lower take rate on virginiana than American persimmon does. On all my failures, I was later able to regraft with the intended variety later on, so it wasn’t an incompatibility per se. I think it’s more that the two pieces have a harder time knitting, so everything has to be spot on. As close to perfect unions as possible, perfect temps, and absolutely no competing growth. Out of the hybrids I’ve tried, Chuchupaka is almost as good as pure American varities (I even successfully grafted year-old scion), JT-02 is about 10% harder, and Ojka had no luck whatsoever. My one Kaki variety (Chinebuli) only had a 25% success rate, but I think I also grafted a little earlier in the season than I should have.

2 Likes

This is a prime example of incompatibility issue. Prok doesn’t like most asians and probably some hybrids as well. Use interstem…Mohler or Lehman’s Delight (100-46) are good, or any other virginiana that is friendly with kaki.

5 Likes

That’s interesting. Both trees (one inground and the other in pot) that have an incompatibility issue are Prok.

Will keep the interstem you mentioned in mind. Thank you.

2 Likes

@mamuang

SDS (Sudden Death Syndrome) Kaki Decline

General Fruit Growing

Jul 2018

1 / 29

Jul 2018

Jul 2022

strudeldog

Jul '18

I have not been on here for some time, but wanted to share some thoughts on this. SDS (Sudden Death Syndrome) Kaki Decline or whatever you call it. I took note of someone’s comments of never being able to re-graft Kaki to Virginiana rootstock that had prior been lost to decline. I like to take advantage of established root stock so when I lose a tree always allow 3 or 4 trunks on regrowth from lost plants so I have multiple graft attempts and later cull to a single graft I normally have a very high percentage graft results but on these regrowths I was having no success some over multiple years regrafting Kaki. I grow a lot more Kaki but this year grafted 1 Virginiana to each of the 4 trees I was having trouble with in prior years. I was 4 for 4 on the Virginiana and probably like 0 for 12 on Kaki. If you take into account the prior years I am more like 0 for 50 on these Kaki to died back re-growth. When grafting Kaki to virgin rootstock have never kept actual track but I would guess over 80% on initial takes. I much prefer growing Kaki, so now I need to decide to either pull the entire tree after losses and go back with Kaki or dedicate that regrowth to Virginiana grafts.

3 Likes