Prok and Yates American persimmons

I think Nikita’s Gift was good but I like Yates more (for now). My friend (who owns a Yates tree and has given me lot of Yates) told me the NG I gave him were “perfect”.

Go figure.

3 Likes

Yep, there’s some dynamite-looking, hybrids. They are so tantalizing-looking when cut in half and are at their perfect softness (not blobs of goo but can be sliced into perfect sections like cutting a grape with a very sharp knife.) That’s what I’m looking to try. The sooner the better! :grinning:

4 Likes

I think JT-02 is still astringent when hard unless the astringency is artificially removed. I’m looking forward to that PVNA hybrid from England’s.

2 Likes

Hopefully my tree holds onto its fruit next year for me to try. @tonyOmahaz5 Did your JT-02 trees fruit this past year?

Are you referring to the David’s Kandy they propagated? It sounds like a good one.

No, it hasn’t been released yet AFAIK and not yet given a name. He posted it on Facebook last year. The fruit had dark colored flesh when seeded and was non-astringent like a proper PVNA fruit.

2 Likes

How long did JT-02 take to start setting fruit? I was looking at Englands as well. They have a huge selection. Also, they say their quince have been blight resistant and their almonds fruit well. I am thinking about trying them all.

It was a graft I made in 2019 onto a potted seedling, and it flowered this past spring so 1 year. All of the flowers dropped though.

I got 19 fruits of the 5 years old tree. They were astringent and tasted excellent when soft repined , sooooooo rich and very cold Hardy to Z5 at least to -19F so far. I am glad that top worked at least 9 persimmon trees to JT-02. There will lots of dry JT-02 fruts in the near future. A must have varieties for the cold Midwest.

4 Likes

That sounds wonderful. How did the size compare to your other persimmons? Sounds like I need to graft more trees at a better spot and make a duplicate trees. Did your Kasandra tree perform well this year? I finally got a graft of that going this past spring.

JT-02 fruits were around 2.8 to 3 inches in diameter so they were the same size as a medium size Fuyu. Kassandra flowers all dropped this past summer. Hopefully, it will give me fruits this coming summer. Btw, plz do graft more JT-02. It is a winner. Thanks to the Japanese hybridization program for this one.

4 Likes

Do you have any of the Ukraine versions to compare it to?

It is better then Rossyanka and Nikita’s gift.

3 Likes

Tony, you say JT-02 ripens mid October. How does that compare to your other persimmons?

Can you provide scion wood :slight_smile:

1 Like

To piggy back on Jafar’s question, when does JT02 ripen relative to Nikita’s gift. NG ripens beautifully but late varieties will not. I have a nice spot but our summer is cool and short.

2 Likes

You guys convinced me to get a JT-02. The competition for further space in my yard is going to be fierce if all of what I ordered this year survives… :joy:

2 Likes

Hi Tony,
Thanks for your comment on my Chocolate. Would it be possible to obtain a few scions of your Prok and H-118 this winter once dormant? They do look like very nice fruits. I grew up in W. Tn where we always had a lot of native persimmons growing around on the farm. They were all full of seed but tasty.
Dennis

1 Like

Wow, those are biguns! :drooling_face:

which American persimmon are sweetest when squishy? I prefer the really jammy texture to them, over ripe, and the American to the Asian. I’ve been looking at Yates specifically but would prok be more gooey sweet?

I think that nauseating sugar rush is what I’m after.

That’s more about how ripe you let them get. Most all of the varieties are going to be good. Size and quantity of seeds is what matters.