Prok and Yates American persimmons

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever tried to germinate any seeds from any of the named virginiana cultivars Iā€™ve grafted, and if I have I didnā€™t keep them separate, so I canā€™t say if the seeds are viable, but they look totally normal.

1 Like

Yes I agree the safest bet would be to keep it simple. But the only way to know if a graft is gonna reject is to put them together. And the experimenting is half the fun. But if I can start with a tree that has smaller growth habits Iā€™ll have to prune less. The apple trees keep me busy enough. But I do have an area set a side for a couple of persimmons to just do their own thing. The trees in the orchard will be hybrids though. This forum has tons of advice and information. Without personal experience information on the internet is hard to find about persimmons being that they arenā€™t as common of a fruit as an apple. So thanks so much

1 Like

Is it still your opinion that Prok is milder than Yates? I saw a previous post you made on GW, where you thought the opposite.

3 Likes

Now that my Prok is in full production and I ate a lot of them in the last few years. The taste to me was more milder than Yates but bigger fruits.

Tony

4 Likes

Gotcha. Do you still rank Prok and H-118 ahead of Yates?

3 Likes

Yes, because they are both larger than Yates.

4 Likes

If you toss out fruit size as a criteria, and itā€™s purely based on taste, youā€™d still rank Prok and H-118 ahead?

How would you rank these three with respect to only taste (irrespective of yield and fruit size): Prok, H-118, and Yates in comparison to JT-02, Rossyanka, and Nikitaā€™s Gift?

Given the order in which youā€™ve been topworking - Iā€™m assuming JT-02, Ros, NG, Prok, H-118, and Yates? In that order?

2 Likes

American persimmon tasted very similar but some may be more stronger fragrant and more juicy. So that was the reason why l chose the larger size fruits. I TOPWORKED a total 7 persimmon trees to JT-02 due to the rich and sweet taste plus the super cold hardy at -19F so far for my Z5. Rossyanka was good tasting but a little late to ripen. Nikitaā€™s gift tasted great with firm texture but only can handle the cold to -10F.

5 Likes

ic. thanks for the notes. They are helpful.

3 Likes

The virginiana persimmons ripen so much earlier than the hybrids (and kakis) that I donā€™t personally see a lot of reason to ask which tastes better, because the virginianas are my only option for persimmons in August and September and Iā€™m mostly eating the hybrids and kakis in November and December. Thereā€™s potentially some overlap in October with late virginianas and early kakis, but theyā€™re different enough, and I enjoy the different types enough that Iā€™d definitely enjoy having both types since I have enough space, etc. The only thing I donā€™t really have (at least not fruiting yet) are virginiana varieties that ripen much beyond September.

3 Likes

Ripening time depends on where you are. Where I am, zone 6 a, my friendā€™s Yates (D. Virg.) starts ripening around the 2nd week of Oct and continuing on into early Nov. that is late to me.

@JustPeachy is in zone 5. I donā€™t think any D. Virg. Would ripen any earlier than mid Oct.

Mid-October seems really late ā€“ thatā€™s two full months later than here (zone 7 NC) ā€“ but Iā€™m sure it would be significantly later than here anyways. But if virginianas donā€™t start ripening until mid October and first frost comes mid October or even earlier, would someone in that location be able to ripen varieties like Rosseyanka or Nikitaā€™s gift (and any other hybrids that donā€™t ripen any earlier) at all? I think I remember Tony in zone 5 Omaha saying heā€™s been able to ripen the hybrids, but Iā€™m guessing he has a lot more growing degree days than zone 5 Wisconsin, and Iā€™d assume that would make a big difference.

What Iā€™ve noticed that although @tonyOmahaz5 is at least half a zone colder than me, his varoius fruit consistently ripen at least 1-2 weeks ahead than mine.

I believe his spring comes early and his summer heat is a lot more intense. These factors are likely to contribute to Omaha fruit ripen earlier than MA fruit.

My NG has dropped all fruit. My guess is NG will ripen in late Oct here.

1 Like

Nebraska summers can get surprisingly hot. Apples and pears often ripen early here.

2 Likes

Once in a while. I brought my potted figs outdoor around March 24th.

Tony

4 Likes

@cousinfloyd & @mamuang.

Exactlyā€¦

you guys got it right. Itā€™s heat units and growing season length whether American, hybrid, or kaki. As long as the area where they are being grown has the opportunity to turn the fruit an orange color, then itā€™s good enough to harvest and allow them to ripen artificially (off the tree.)

Dax

3 Likes

Dax, do you know what the potential is for growing hybrids in your area as far as ripening (as opposed to winter hardiness)? And Iā€™m curious when virginiana persimmons begin ripening in your area, too.

1 Like

I am looking forward to Cliff Englandā€™s new cold hardy PNVA hybrid. He posted about it on facebook. It should allow for earlier harvest since it can be eaten while still hard if pollinated.

3 Likes

I would be interested in this one. I just have to find a spot for it.

1 Like

Weā€™re in the same boat Tony! I need more land!

1 Like