Propagating Fig Cuttings

Here is some pictures of some cuttings I tried last year here in Atlanta. The green cuttings straight in dirt had the best results with all the cutting living. The cuttings in 100% perlite just didn’t grow as fast as the cutting put in dirt but about 90% lived.

2 Likes

Take it home to light!

Thank you all for the comments.
I rooted it in that pot. Had a bag over it but took it off every other day or so because it was causing mold. It had been without a bag for 3 weeks now. So that can’t be the reason for drooping. I will water from top and see if that helps. Waiting for nights to get warmer so I can take it home and plant outside. If I do that now, would it make matters worse? Worried that transplant shock on top of whatever it has right now will kill it. :disappointed:

Ok I tried watering from top. That didn’t help. It’s drooping even more. Should I take it home and plant it in ground?

Hi all, I ordered fig cuttings from a well known, talked about mail order company. I was totally scammed, only spent 25.00 on cuttings but zip has ever arrived. Figs for Fun? Can’t remember exactly. Beware of on-line fig companies, unless you get a recommendation here!

1 Like

That discussion is over at this link.

1 Like

I brought it home today. Going to plant in ground on Sunday after cool weather passes. Will give it some shade to harden it off. Hopefully it’ll make it.

My two Petite Negrone cuttings are growing pretty well.

2 Likes

Some people are doing air-layerings with no soil, with plastic and rooting hormone and it works great. I skimmed over the information so I do not have a good idea how they are doing it.

I was told something that makes me think that rooting cuttings laying down works better than rooting them other ways.

at about 86 degrees Fahrenheit rooting happens faster than at 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

@Stan, @Kate, and @JamesWNY all sent me Desert King fig cuttings this winter. I threw them all together into the rooting bin.

Three of them rooted. Today, they graduated into cups.

5 Likes

I am beginning to think that this successful batch of Desert King cuttings came from @Stan.

He also sent me Peter’s Honey, which has begun to root too.

A lot of the cuttings I got from sources in the Eastern U.S. just don’t seem lively this year. Perhaps this past winter’s low temperatures zapped them.

1 Like

I hope Teramo works for you. I will plant my stick outdoors in a week or two.

Spring finally arrives tomorrow. It’s GO time!

1 Like

The cuttings I rooted in late December/January are outside now while it’s above freezing. Trying to acclimate them. I burned the leaves a touch, always in a hurry!

Here from left to right, Sao Miguel Roxo, Smith, and Bourjasotte Grise

The one on the right seems to have FMV, which many I have, have it. But it’s strange because it is supposed to be an heirloom from Monroe MI brought back from Italy, a Mt Etna type. Never seen one with FMV before. It’s called Antonelli Unk after the guy who brought it here. On the far left are two seedlings of Morus nigra (in one pot) that sprouted for me.

Here is Salce, it comes from the Molise Region of Italy. The fig is yellow with reddish blush that often covers the entire fruit. Excellent tasting variety according to Mario who brought it back from Italy. He has been growing it for a long time in Kentucky. It is his favorite fig. I guess being yellow, it is a green fig, not a dark fig.
The name Salce is pronounced Sawl-Chay.

This is an extra, trade for other rooted cutting or 15 bucks for the plant, and 15 for postage
Trades have priority. Otherwise it’s going up on Figbids in a week. I want to hold for 2 weeks to acclimate, make it tougher for the mailing.

2 Likes

Really nice looking Smith.

FMV spots on leaves and fruit have rings around their borders. Those spots look like they are from fig bud mites, easy to confirm with a microscope, spray them all because they are easy to spread.

OK, will do! It does look different than other known infected trees.

Yes, I got it from Zone5figger on Ourfigs. He also sent Genovese Nero AF, and both rooted really quickly. I sent him about 30 Florea cuttings, he needed to start a bunch of plants. My Florea plant was big, is a nub afterward. Which is fine, i planted it in ground and covered what was left.
This photo was taken March 16th. Some other rooted cuttings.

6 Likes

Drew or anyone: do you have ‘White Triana’ and would you comment on its flavor? Good, very good, excellent. Any other comments appreciated, too.

And how do you guys rate Marseilles Black VS with all the other cultivars you’ve tasted? Marseilles Black VS will go in the ground here. I was told ‘White Triana’ will likely be hardy to plant with winter protection but that my growing season will not be long enough to ripen the figs to maturity. Comments?

Dax

I don’t have White Triana, so can’t help there. MBvs is a decent Mt. Etna type. Actually one of the better ones as it is a prolific producer and the figs are excellent. They get better the longer you can let them hang. It out produces Hardy Chicago. A must have if you ask me. It seems to taste better with age too. Mine is going on 4th or 5th leaf now and last year the figs were very good.Mine is in a container.

1 Like

That FMV is funny. Remember my posts a couple years back with my Panache having it bad? I planted it in the ground and it grew four foot tall with very little signs of it. It’s buried under a full tarp with shredded leaves right now. Curious how that works out. I’m going to start burying them when planting on a 45 deg angle so it’s easier to bend them down to the ground. I snapped that one trying to bend it. The last of my snow is finally melting. Still some spots out back with four inches yet. The rain tomorrow should take care of it.

1 Like