Queen Garnet plum

I was mentioning this Australian superplum here couple of times, there is a new article for those who are interested. If only half of that is true we have a lot to look forward to.

1 Like

Does sound good. In general color is a good guide to the health of ones diet. The more colorful the healthier the diet. I’m trying to improve in that regard.

If anyone gets any of this fruit or similar such as the candycots please keep the seeds and if you don’t need them offer to members here.

1 Like

Maybe my Chocolate Jewel plum could be the next Queen Garnet plum since it’s a cross between two red-fleshed plums, Mariposa plum, seed parent, x Krauter Vesuvious Myrobalan plum, pollen parent.

4 Likes

Candycot? Just looked them up… Have you tried them?

I haven’t found any but they are sold in HEB in Texas. That means a 3 hr drive. I’ll probably never taste any but would like to plant the seeds.

Maybe I could call over and see if HEB has any in June. I’d drive over just to get the seeds. I’ve got a place to plant some.

Seems a bit hyper to me. The experiment with rats would have been more informative if they’d compared it to to the results of feeding them Satsuma or Ruby Queen- two plums with flesh as dark as that in the picture and to feeding other unhealthy rats plums with less impressive yellow color like Shiro.

I do consider flavonoids as likely quite beneficial to one’s health, but exactly how dosage comes into play is unknown. If you eat a diet of mostly non industrial food with plenty of fruit and vegetables I doubt you need to worry about the antioxidant level of everything you eat.

My primary concern is how do those babies taste!

4 Likes

And I would like to provide pictures of Satsuma and Shiro to support Alan’s narrative :grin:

4 Likes

I’ll watch for them at our local store if they show up I’ll send you the whole fruit

1 Like

Now that’s an offer I can’t refuse!!

1 Like

Any idea what the season might be when they will be on the shelf

1 Like

We buy candycots in 20 lb cartons directly from the farm where they’re grown (it’s about 30-35 minute drive from where I live). In my opinion, they are exceptionally good. Here is what came out of last year’s seeds (photos were taken March 1st):

Hopefully some of these will survive.

3 Likes

There are so many cots that I lost track. Someone heard of Angelcots? Could they be same or similar to Candycots?

Would you like to sell me one? :wink:

Let’s first see how many will survive through the summer. We planted the seeds somewhat haphazardly and seedlings are in the open ground without much protection.

I see seed pits on the ground in the picture but they don’t look like cot pits. Did you just place the entire cot pit in the ground or did you open the pits to access the seeds? Did they go straight in the ground or did you cold stratify them in the fridge?

All pits were first put in the fridge in late June (and we almost forgot about them). In early November we recalled that seeds are sitting in the fridge and planted all of them in the ground: about half were opened first with a hummer and then planted and another half were planted “as is”. I suspect that most opened seeds were found and eaten by ground squirrels and seedlings mostly originated from seeds planted in the shell, but I don’t know for sure. What you see on the photo are outer shells of apricot seeds.

How would you describe them? Classic apricot flavor-ish or something completely different?

I’m always puzzled by the use of word “classic” for fruit taste description. I don’t know what “classic apricot flavor” means to you. It’s definitely an apricot taste, not peach or plum or banana or some exotic fruit. Still, it’s completely different from a typical store-bought bland apricot. These apricots are relatively small and dully colored, but extremely juicy with phenomenal sweet yet sprightly taste and pleasant aroma. Each fruit is an explosion of flavor in your mouth.

1 Like

Sounds to me like just a high brix apricot. Nothing exotic. I need great conditions and good control of water to hit mid 20s brix on apricots. Sounds like these make that easier. Maybe I could get them to low 30s.

Still I’m going to try my best to get seeds and see if the seedling trees produce the same high brix fruit. The breeder started with seeds I can also.

1 Like

Exactly what i was trying to get at…i just wonder because these are tree ripened, vs half green…if that is why everyone loves them. A fully ripened Tomcot off a yard tree is a heck of a lot better then anything store bought. I’m sure they are still very good and hopefully a little different then any other apricot i’ve tried.

The breeder said he had them (or some variety) to 32 brix and it was like a sugar cube.