Question on differences between Carmin & Tillamook Goumi

Hi,

Is there any difference between GOUMI varieties called Tillamook an Carmine ( in terms of fruit size, taste and growth habit (size) )?

I’m considering to purchase Tillamook variety since Carmine is not available online, but want to make sure that Tillamook is as good or equal to Carmine.

Any information on this world be appropriate.
Thanks.

2 Likes

The discussion here might be of interest to you Looking for Carmine Goumi . I’m watching this topic with interest since i have autumn olives which can be grafted over to goumi.

3 Likes

I’m guessing they’re the same. When i had ordered a Carmine from Burnt Ridge Nursery, it arrived with both a Carmine and Tillamook tag.

2 Likes

Per Lucille Whitman they are the same.

https://www.whitmanfarms.com/

I got my Tillamook from her

3 Likes

CONFIRMED - Carmine variety = Tillamook variety

Details:

• Lucile @ Whitman Nursery said that she sells or used to sell Tillamook Goumi variety to Burntridge Nursery. BurntRidge renamed it to Carmine. So, according to her, both varieties are the SAME.
  • Called Burntridge Nursery to check if these varieties are same. They said they don’t know. :slight_smile:
  • It’s sad and creates great confusion in the community when the nursery just decides to create their own naming for whatever reason (what sounds like to create artificial demand?) for the existing variety.
  • Bought Tillamook from Lucile already and planted it in-ground sometime ago. You might want to consider to do the same.
4 Likes