Questions not deserving of a whole thread

When growing nut trees from seed, is there a point where the nut should be cut off of the seedling before transplanting? I would assume it would be a magnet for vermin as long as its attached…

I might be wrong. But i think the nut is the seed. It should fold open, and the 2 halves would probably become your 2 first leaves, called Cotyledons

So i don’t think you can cut it off. Without de-leafing the plant.

@oscar, I think you’re thinking about bean, melon, or zuchini, where the seed leaves are formed from the seed itself. But it doesn’t apply to every plant.

For example, in oak tree, the acorns remain at ground level while both a root and stem grow out of it in opposite direction. I would think most large heavy seeds must remain on the ground and does this because the first stem a seedling grows simply can’t bear the weight of the a large heavy seed.

@dgerdem, I would leave the seed in place since removing the seed deprives the seedling of the resources saved in the seed.

1 Like

Can I used processed (chopped, pureed, and vinegar added) horseradish from my garden as a deterrent for chipmunks? I can’t find any info online about it other than just growing it in the first place. I’d like to replace the cayenne that I sometimes use.

Any idea what type of sapling this is?

Looks like it could be a cherry. Throw any pits into the ground?

I posted a picture of a cherry seedling

Are there any super early plums besides Early Golden ,Early Magic, Spring Satin?

There’s a huge, mostly dead 30-40 year old (sour?) cherry tree not that far away that produces a handful of smallish bright red cherries every year. It’s got more deeply veined looking leaves like the one you posted.

Leaves also resemble chokecherry (Prunus virginiana) and Camellia genus.

Once leaves are mature, Prunus has soft leaves, while Camellia has hard waxy leaves.

Newly transplanted in Rhubarb crowns (Victoria, if it matters)…the leaves are coming in very low to the ground. Like touching it, or nearly so. Did I plant it at the right depth? Or too high/low? Or is this just something that will happen at first sometimes?

this year I did two of my mound beds with pine straw, wood chip, then about 4 inches of aged horse manure on top. added a little promix and soil conditioner as a top layer and will be planting this week.

with that much horse poop should I still fertilize? would 4-4-4 be ok, or the fish and kelp? calmag? I feel like I’ll be overdoing it but I could be very wrong.

the manure is just under 2 years aged. growing all the usual veggie suspects, tomato, squashes, cukes,okra, etc

What depth did you plant the top of the root? The top of most rhizomes shouldn’t genearlly be too far away from the surface of the soil.

Regardless the stalks will keep growing and eventually the leaf part will not touch the ground.

1 Like

I am tired of pulling these wild strawberry looking weeds , sets very small tasteless fruit.
Is it bad for my apples trees or I can leave these alone for ground cover.

2 Likes

Strawberries generally have extremely shallow roots so I don’t think they are bad for your trees

2 Likes

Those are probably snakeberries

5 Likes

Does anyone have pictures of mature gooseberry plant? Do you treat them like canefruit on a “V” trellis or is it more a shrub like blueberry? Does the gooseberry propagate via underground roots that spread far away like canefruit, or does it stay in place?

1 Like

I have one bush in the front yard (used to have more). I can take a picture tomorrow. Mine have the habit of a low bush (60-70 cm) with arching branches. It does not propagate via underground roots (but you can propagate it layering lower branches).

2 Likes

Mine grow upright bushes very similar to currants. Or maybe blueberry bush.

Mine propagates easily from dormant terminal ends in the off season. 6 node cuttings. 3 buried under ground, 3 above. Sprouts right out in the spring like it always lived there.

4 Likes

I wish people would start a new thread when they have a garden question. This thread is difficult to follow for me, never know what the subject will be before you open it. But you know what they say about opinions…

1 Like

@no07 @Noddykitty It seems to follow growing habit similar to blueberry based on description and pics. Thanks!