Questions not deserving of a whole thread

I’ve just searched for the varieties I’ve been interested in specifically with tip or spur to find that information. Usually it’s out there somewhere.

So I have a question about propagating my fig cuttings. I ordered one parafilm tape from Fedco, but it’s mis delivered, now I got a message from Harvey that he’s going to deliver my fig cuttings soon. Can I go ahead and plant them inside without covering of parafilm tape. I will have them next to a bay window. So they are not going to be outside.

Parafilm helps, but it not an essential. You don’t need to wrap Parafilm on fig cuttings for the cuttings to root. The rooting environment/condition ( temperature, free of mold, moisture, away from direct sun etc) and the cultivar is more important.

1 Like

I have a quick question. I am planning on making mason bee house. Has anyone used these plastic drinking straw instead of drilling holes? I am asking if the mason bees like plastic home (vs. Nature wood) or not?

I have a couple of blocks made of corn from Raintree and to me,they look and feel like plastic.Bees will use them,the same as my wooden ones.
Paper drinking straws,might also work.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if hardy (specifically Javid’s Iranian) almonds are susceptible to black knot like plums/other prunus species? I’m interested in hardy almonds but I have high disease pressure from black knot here. I have a cherry tree that isn’t affected, which gives me hope, but nothing I can find online about black knot says anything about almonds. Thanks!

1 Like

if you know where there’s a stand of knotweed, the 2 yr. old canes make great nesting tubes, every spring i harvest a bunch and stick them in my homemade mason block. i get about 30 filled each season per block. once they get filled by mid-summer, i take them and store them in the garage until spring to stop woodpeckers and wasps from attacking them. straws might work but maybe not. i thought the hole had to be in a semi permeable substance so the larva can breathe.

5 Likes

I have seen plastic tray type mason bee houses, but I don’t know how well they are accepted. It’s worth a try. I’ve spent a bit of time checking out dried stems from various plants to see if any are suitable. Most have some light core material that has to be reamed out, but I finally found that the dried flower stems from Allium plants (the spring flowering bulbs) are perfectly hollow, light, and about the same size as drinking straws.

i

i

i

1 Like

try out japanese knotweed. im sure you have some. that crap grows everywhere here. might actually be why mason and leafcutter bees are on the rise. its the perfect nesting material for them

1 Like

Will do. There is an unlimited supply ! Thanks for the tip.

cuts best with a hacksaw. pruners crush them.

1 Like

@Bradybb @Ged @steveb4 thanks for the inputs.
I have bunch of the drinking straw laying around. Want to find a way to use them.
I don’t have any knotweed. But I think I may be able to find someone who has it.
If I remember correctly, knotweed stem is quite large, like a sugar cane size, Mason bee tubes only need around 1/4" diameter. Maybe its stem has thick wall?

some get big but there are alot that ae smaller. the tips tend to be small. try the straws and let us know how it works.

Will do. If the bees take the straw, that will simply the project

1 Like

I will try that. Thanks!

How thorny is pomegranite? I might be able to pick up a ‘Wonderful’ really cheap locally or go for a Salavatski. Is it a “why the #@%^ would you plant that near a walkway?” plant or just “has some thorns; who cares” sort of thing?

My pomegranates that I think are Wonderful are not what you would call thorny. I had them for a couple of years and it wasn’t until I started cutting one back that I realized that it was “sticky”. When you handle the branches you notice that it’s causing discomfort but I wouldn’t call it “thorny”. Mine were fairly young so I don’t know if that makes a difference or not.

1 Like

I just picked a Wonderful Pom myself. So far it’s a small tree, no thorns.

I have a question regarding rooting fig cuttings from Harvey. The USPS found my Parafilm tape, so do I wrap the top of the cutting and stick it in growing medium, most likely a plastic cup, do I leave it outside, or do I keep it inside. I’m in California, so not freezing, but it’s definitely warmer inside my house.

What hand tool is used to cut 14 or 16 gauge welded wire fencing? Would said tool also work for hardware cloth (not sure if I’m going to need to cut some of that or not yet). Deer climbed under (and ripped the shit out of in the process) my not yet landscape stapled down mesh deer fencing. There was nothing there for them to eat, they just wanted to partly destroy the incomplete fence. I fucking hate deer.

2 Likes

Now I want a small bit to liven up our next camp fire.

1 Like