Questions not deserving of a whole thread

Anyone have a picture of what vegetative buds versus fruiting buds look like on haskap/honeyberry and on currants? I put some in last year, so I’m a little excited/curious.

Edit: And should I go with Victoria Rhubarb, which seems to be everywhere, or a newer variety? The intended purpose is pies and some sort of crumble thing. I’m in the NE outside Philly, so I’m pretty sure they’ll all grow here.

Canada red is more productive ,more tender and a bit sweeter. i plan to plant more of it.

I have no photos, but haskaps bloom quite early, so you won’t have to wait long to find out.

1 Like

I just planted 2 pear trees, one 5x1 Asian pear and one Hood pear. In the past I lost one nice Asian pear to fire blight , so this is why I’m asking this question. Should I prune the bare root trees I just planted, I’m nervous by doing that I’m opening my trees to some potential problem. I can prune them later in the fall.

Having never tried a Green Gage Plum,I bought some from Weee!,as advertised.Only eating one,it was quite sour,being picked far too early.
If left out at room temperature,do they a chance of ripening?

1 Like

It’s certainly worth a try to ripen them on the counter.

3 Likes

I planted this Chojuro pear in a container, did I plant it deep enough, it seems to be sending suckers, I already removed a few growth, should I remove these buds, I’m nervous of killing this tree.

These look like buds on rootstock. Should be removed

2 Likes

Thank You!

I’m going to be planting two Apriums in the same hole in the next couple days. I’m planning on training them to an open center or V.

I’ve heard Winter pruning apricots can be a bad idea because of a serious fungal (I think?) infection specific to them, so should I wait until they start waking up? There’s only a single cherry tree in the area that I’m aware of, so I’m not sure how prevalent any of the stone fruit diseases will be.

I’m assuming people treat Apriums like apricots for purposes of pruning/spraying/etc (i.e. don’t sulfur them for fungus).

1 Like

is this a lettuce that lasted the winter? if so I’ll have to figure out which it was and plant again, there’s a bunch of them and I’ll be eating them. maybe raddicio?

the other is sallet, isn’t it? I put down seed for it last year and it didn’t come up.

2 Likes

The top picture is radicchio.

2 Likes

Gooseberries or Red/White Currants…which will do better in partial shade (like five hours of sun)?

in your climate id say both.

What kind of onions are the grocery store green onions?

1 Like

Evergreen Bunching is an old variety used for green onions. I am sure there are many more, hopefully that will give you a starting place to search varieties.

1 Like

Is this a tiny pawpaw flower bud?

2 Likes

for me, goosberry and currants are equally shade tolerant. However goosberry’s tend to be more disease prone (except for resistant varieties) to mildew. If that’s something you struggle with. You might want to go currant.

yes, that is a flower bud.

3 Likes

Read up on pawpaw cross pollination. It is pickier than many fruit IMO.

1 Like