Questions not deserving of a whole thread

I am trying to ID this weed, it is growing through one of my raspberry beds.

Ternate leaf and rhizomatous root could be a parsley relative, many of which could be toxic to humans. –be careful

Family: Apiaceae

1 Like

looks like ground elder to me Aegopodium podagraria

1 Like

How big is your pot and tree? If possible, I’d like to see a picture of the tree.

Most likely, here’s a picture of mine. The young leaves are in the middle shooting up.

4 Likes

I purchased 5 peach trees on seedling rootstocks to trial, I’m not sure how they’ll do in my climate. I have no peach experience and am unsure what spacing to use. Varieties are Carolina Gold, China Pearl, Contender, Intrepid, and Redhaven. Anyone able to recommend in row spacing?

They can grow big and wide. 15 feet if you have ample space. I put some of mine at 12ft spacing, some less.

https://growingfruit.org/t/having-2nd-thoughts-on-peach-tree-spacing/

1 Like

I should have 2 remaining rows @ 650’ each to play with freely. Thanks for that thread, it gives me some ideas. In row I have plenty of space to do as I please, and between rows I have 17’ plus a 6’ wide planting bed, so in reality 23’ center of row to center or row. I may push the planting out to 18’-20’. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Andy,
In zone 4a, growing peach trees are pushing your luck, IMO. The trees may survive but I am not sure if flower buds would.

Reliance and Contender are known to be bud hardier than most. Still, they are iffy for zone5, never mind zone 4.

1 Like

I have a 5 year old Italian Prune Plum tree with about 2’ of empty ( fruiting wood/ blooms ) lower scaffold. There is much above this area.

Is bud grafting a good way to infill this region of empty scaffold with fruiting wood?

Ive never bud grafted. Ive only been using cleft grafts, thus far.

I had not intended on doing grafting with this variety this year and so saved no scion wood. For the grafts, can i use cuttings from currently growing branches putting out leaves, at this time of year?

2 Likes

Looks like you have 2 of the ones recommended by this site. Good luck.

1 Like

Hw 272 has no fun name yet. It is from Ontario Canada and does well in WA state. Mine got curl its first 3 years; but this year it is growing curl free like a rock star. Mine are along a salmon spawning creek so no spray for curl disclaimer. Might be worth a try. I could give you scions next offseason too if you would rather go that route…

Here is the write up on raintree:

2 Likes

Andy, I have tried peaches several times near St. Paul. Even my Siberian peach freezes to the ground many winters, then resprouts from the roots. It has never gotten over knee high. I understand your desire to give peach growing a good try. I would recommend alternating the peach trees somewhat closely with other kinds of fruit, so if (when) the peaches all die, you won’t have a big empty spot in your orchard. If all grow, just prune the other trees back some so the peaches get ample sunshine. I had hoped global warming would give me a chance at peach growing, but all we got out of it is wild weather swings that make fruit-growing even more difficult.

@mamuang I totally agree, that’s why I got only one each of 5 varieties as trials only. The one thing that may benefit me is we don’t get the early warm ups and sudden freezes. Trees here stay dormant quite late and this may (a BIG may) get me past frosted blooms.

@Noddykitty I’ve been interested in the HW peaches, we’ll see how these do this year.

@northwoodswis4 I have 3 remaining rows in the orchard, one of which will be planted out with the remaining apple and pear in the nursery bed. The remaining 2 rows @ 650’ each remain pending a decision on what to do with them. I’ll trial the peaches but am prepared to go another route depending on results. I have 2 Montmorency on Mahaleb at the house that are doing well so I bought 4 Mahaleb root stocks and grafted Montmorency to them for the orchard. My other thought for the final two rows is to do a high-density apple planting. Time will tell…

Thanks everyone for the input!

i too have a contender peach. it got slight tip dieback but survived 1 day that had -61f windchill air temp of -21f. most websites rate it as z4 hardy. i believe out of the hardy ones contender blooms later so less likely to get zapped by late frosts.

1 Like

Andy,
Have you read some of Konrad from Far North posts in Garden Web at all? He is the one person having extensive experience growing fruit so far north including cherries.

1 Like

No, I’ve never been on Garden Web. I’ll see if I can read the posts, thanks.

It is called Houzz now. If possible, look for the category called Far North or something like that.

Konrad is great. He is the one member from the old GardenWeb, who did not move to this forum, that I have missed the most.

4 Likes

Reliance was the old cold hardy standard. Ours died the same year our Red Haven did after about 12 years, but the fruit quality wasn’t nearly as good. We replaced the Red Haven but not the Reliance. Miller’s in Canandaigua used to sell Finger Lakes Super Hardy. Friends living closer to Cayuga Lake still have theirs and fruit from their tree was great one year, but most years they been too bland. Ours had a few good bearing years of mediocre peaches before it died. Miller’s by then had been bought out by Stark Bros., and the tree was not continued. Veteran did well for many years, and I liked its peaches, but it had a short life of 17 years. Contender and Rochester have been around for 16 and are both blossoming well this year. I’m worried about the Rochester because my peach grafting has yet to be successful, and the Rochester was another tree we got from Miller’s that Stark did not pick up. It has been typical for us to get a decent peach crop about once in three years, and we are two hours south and warmer than you. In addition to yet another Red Haven replacement, I just planted a Carolina Gold and Intrepid. I’m anxious to see how well they do.

2 Likes

Not very large. I have others that are bigger. That’s a 1 gallon water jug for comparison. I think that may be a #2 nursery pot?