Questions not deserving of a whole thread

Does anyone have pictures of mature gooseberry plant? Do you treat them like canefruit on a “V” trellis or is it more a shrub like blueberry? Does the gooseberry propagate via underground roots that spread far away like canefruit, or does it stay in place?

1 Like

I have one bush in the front yard (used to have more). I can take a picture tomorrow. Mine have the habit of a low bush (60-70 cm) with arching branches. It does not propagate via underground roots (but you can propagate it layering lower branches).

2 Likes

Mine grow upright bushes very similar to currants. Or maybe blueberry bush.

Mine propagates easily from dormant terminal ends in the off season. 6 node cuttings. 3 buried under ground, 3 above. Sprouts right out in the spring like it always lived there.

4 Likes

I wish people would start a new thread when they have a garden question. This thread is difficult to follow for me, never know what the subject will be before you open it. But you know what they say about opinions…

1 Like

@no07 @Noddykitty It seems to follow growing habit similar to blueberry based on description and pics. Thanks!

If the threads are not successive replies, you will see the reply linked. This thread isn’t for following perhaps. It’s just a mish-mash of random questions folks have.

2 Likes

Black velvet is the only upright one I have. All the rest more or less look like a green ball loaded with thorns.

1 Like

Interesting, mine is just wild grown from the creek bed. I have no idea what it is. It grows all up and down the drainage. In between the oso berries and honey berries. I took cuttings from it 10 years ago…

please please. someone who knows about dirt and fert, horse manure… help me out here.

I have 4-4-4, calmag, fish fert. is it overkill?

@Robert Thanks for the info. Any pests and disease in mid-Atlantic?

@resonanteye Fish fertilizer is fairly light and you can use it with water as a pick me up or even as a folilar spray. I tend to use it in conjunction with other sources of fertility like compost.

If it’s really good horse manure, it might all you need for fertility. Unfortunately bad horse manure can harbor herbicide which may be very detrimental to some plants. What are you trying to grow?

1 Like

all kinds of things. nothing seems stunted at all, things are germinating and moving along. it’s about now that I would hit them with a little calmag and fish fert, just didn’t know if it would be too much.

happy cabbages in one section

the lady it came from let it sit nearly two years, and is picky about what her horses eat. no herbicides as far as can be known

1 Like

Your bak chois (or maybe something similar) look happy to me. I don’t think giving it 1 tablespoon of fish fertilizer with 1 gallon water would hurt it.

1 Like

Pretty care free. Maybe a worm in the fruit every now and then.
Although they don’t like the Va heat. Mine usually look pretty ragged by the end of the year. Don’t worry about that, they are fine.

3 Likes

I see. I’m hoping being at higher elevation and north facing will help.

2 Likes

One of mine has green aphids at the moment. …I may have gone a little overboard with the nitrogen though.

Aphids do like succulent growth. I’ve been squishing them on my fruit trees (apples and pears mostly). I haven’t seen much ladybug activity yet…

APHID QUESTION: Is there anything to kill/control aphids that I can put in my tank of Surround clay? Many thanks.

1 Like

Anyone know if deer eat hot pepper plants? The plants themselves.

Anyone know if goats will go out of their way to graze apples, cherries, paw paws, blueberries, or strawberries? A friend of mine has a couple goats and is planning on planting the above and is wondering if he needs a fence or a FENCE to keep them off everything

yes. definitely! they wont only eat the buds but strip all the bark they can reach. they stripped 3 mature red pine and black spruce at my daughters that killed the trees. the bark on them was thick and fissured but they still managed to eat it.