Questions not deserving of a whole thread

U bet :sunglasses: just gotta extrapolate the dates against a known one in yr region. I do that with dave wilson charts fir me its add about 4-5 weeks

Im good with a hard cider too!!!
:beers: clink
Im with u i dont do heavy bitters anymore either.

1 Like

THANK-YOU!!! Almost everyone talks about Guinness with this great reverence and respect and admiration as if it is the greatest beer ever made. Then they brag about a pencil standing up in it. Big deal! Pencils stand up in motor oil too I suspect, which would be appropriate since I thing Guinness tastes a lot like motor oil! haha. And yes, I know about 100 people are about to tell me I just don’t understand and appreciate good beer! haha And I confess that is probably true. These days I probably drink about 6 beers a year so I admit I’m no expert …just saying what I like and don’t like. :slight_smile: Killians Red was very popular in college when I used to drink too much beer, and I do like it very much, btw!

3 Likes

I pull my lettuce out in July. They bolt by then anyway just keep one plant to get mature seed. I just throw few seeds on a bed and keep it moist to get fall lettuce. I probably get 10% success rate with this no care method. But I only need few plants and the seeds are free.
I Keep my kale going till end of August but also plant New for fall. I don’t think you can get kale and lettuce producing nice tender leaves entire summer in this area.
Here are the lettuce popping up…

5 Likes

Water during the hottest part of the day helps cool it off, shade didn’t work for me. The soil really needs to be fertile for good growth because they bolt quickly due to long day length, variety is the only thing that helps with that.
The yield is nothing like spring and early summer, and there is really no chance for a recut. Most red varieties either don’t grow well or lose most of their color. Light green and yellow varieties are often heat tolerant. Tip burn can be a real problem as well as bottom rot and even powdery mildew if there are cold rainy periods.
Some of the most reliable varieties for me: Slobolt, Falstaff, Flashy Butter Gem, Flashy Butter Oak, Double Density, Ruby Vase, and Fascix.

Here are some hybrid seedlings from a couple different crosses I am selecting from for good growth in the summer.

6 Likes

Up to 10 years ago or so, I had tried many beers, and wasn’t too discriminatory towards much of any of them including heavy British ales and porters. Beer is somewhat of an acquired taste, but Guinness never did it for me. I do like a lager they make, called Harp.

I preferred Euro pilsners, like Paulaner or Urquell, very nice, plus Miller Lite and Coors are pretty good lagers, IMO. But, like I said before I can’t remember the last time I had a brew.

Now, bourbon, well that’s another story, but I won’t derail this thread any more…

2 Likes

I’m trying chip budding for the first time.
My question is,after cutting the new donor bud,there is usually some wood pith that comes with the piece.Does that get pulled off,so that there is basically the bark with the bud? Thanks,Brady

No
I leave th wood in (“on”) a chip bud

1 Like

Thanks a lot. Brady

Some people push the wood out ( sideways is best ?). When doing "T " buding
Some people leave it in. There is a danger of hurting the vascular tissue when removing the wood
I don’t do much “T” buding.
I like chip buding better.
Easyer for me , the bark does not need to be slipping

When chip-budding OR T-budding is it necessary ro remove all growth above the budding site?

I would like to bud graft to a “blind” spot on the trunk or larger branch WITHOUT eliminating the desired growth above it.

Mike

It it depends on the time of year and other factors.
This time of year ( late summer) I chip bud and leave the top on until spring.,
In the spring I remove the top above the bud, and force it into growth.

Conversely, when chip budding in the spring.i cut the rootstock back first ,and place the chip bud , trying to force it into growth.

In your situation , if I understand, you could put chip buds in your “blind spot”
And leave them be until spring,the challenge then will be to force that bud to grow with out cutting off the top.
Maybe by scoring above the bud in the spring, and pinching dominant shoots you can force it into growth

3 Likes

@Hillbillyhort

Thanx

Mike

These buds ,and grafts, are not nessicarily places that plants like to grow from…
You kind of have to make them like it !
Grow here…, very well…, or else ! ,!
Some agree …
Some don’t …
Apical dominance, or …not
After care ( making them like it.) is as important as grafting technique

2 Likes

can anyone recommend a good video or article to teach me and maybe others who have never done it how to chip bud ? I’m so new to it and uninformed that even the above questions don’t make sense to me. Thanks

I did a Google search,with the words,“chip budding in the summer” and Youtube had a number of videos. Brady
PS Skillcult was one of the helpful ones I watched.

Thanks Brady. I did some similar searches but got such a large number of results I thought someone here may have already weeded out the bad ones and could recommend the best one(s). But thanks! I;ll try the skillcutt one you mentioned.

My sweet potatoes are flowering and I’m wondering if the flowers are edible. I know I can eat the greens, but what about the flowers?

If they aren’t edible is there any reason to remove them? Does letting them flower and set see reduce the tube growth?

Thanks.

oh, uhm I guess I dont need to mention that.

Morning glory flowers are edible and sweet potatoes are morning glories so I suspect the answer is yes. I would wait for more conformation. interesting your getting flowers. most edible cultivars wont flower in our zone.

Sounds promising. I expect they are since every other part of the plant is edible, but it would be great to hear from anyone who has eaten them and lived to tell about it. They are a pretty light purple so I thought they’d be nice on a salad… unless they’re deadly.

I’m growing 2 types of sweet potatoes (I don’t know the actual varieties) and the one I planted first (late may?) is growing like crazy out of the bed and is now starting to flower. I wasn’t sure if that corresponded to it making tubers or anything, I guess because it doesn’t happen a lot, there isn’t much written about it.