Questions not deserving of a whole thread

Peach twig borer or OFM depending on where you live. Where I’m at, western Texas it’s the twig borer, from central TX east it might be either but often OFM.

1 Like

Central MA, I say, OFM. Treatments are the same. Insecticide or Surround for deterance…

OFM in our area has up to 5 generations. I see new shoot flagging all the way to end of Sept.

As for catching larvae in the act. Depending on what stage you pinch off the flagged shoots. Sometimes, eggs have not hatched, sometimes, they are gone. Lucky times are when you catch them inside the shoots.

2 Likes

I agree with OFM. I have had very good success so far this year using the bug zapper with OFM lures. See: Moth Pests & Spray - #7 by galinas

2 Likes

I have exactly the same damage

The second I believe is tropical Milkweed

I bought some cluster tomatoes from local grocery store. When I cut them open, I found there are a lot of little tomatoes plants growing inside. Are they possible GMO tomatoes?

1 Like

Knew there was a name for this but had to look it up: “Seeds of the fruit that have begun germinating is called Vivipary, Latin for Live Birth. It is the term for plants that begin growing while still inside or attached to the mother plant.” Not unusual for tomatoes and not related to genetic modifications.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. It’s very strange to me that plants are growing out like this. What might be the cause?

5 Likes

I don’t know the cause but that’s just taking promiscuity too far!

2 Likes

I grew gigantic Meyer lemon that did the same thing.

2 Likes

Come to think of it, I had a grapefruit and papaya that had seeds sprouting inside but I have never seen plants poking out like this.

1 Like

I took a long walk yesterday and ate fruit from over a dozen wild mulberry trees. One was noticeably sweeter and more pleasant to eat and had better texture than the rest. I’m wondering how common it is to find very good wild mulberries. I have Kokuso, Oscar, and Rupp’s Romanian, and this was at least as good as any of those.

4 Likes

I have a wild red mulberry that is really good. I found one down the road that is spit out bad…

3 Likes

Good to know, thanks. Only one was a real spitter. The rest were tasty enough. This one just stuck out to me. I’ll probably end up grafting a stick onto one of my existing trees and seeing how it goes.

1 Like

I bought some red delicious apple three months ago. I used to really like this apple… but this time the texture is very hard and very dense, kinda dry and with hint of bitter taste so I stop eating it. They stay in kitchen counter top all these past three months and did not rot. After I stop eating the red delicious, I bought pink lady instead which also is one of my favorite fresh eating apple . Same thing happened, hard and dry texture . Not pleasant taste. And it is sitting on the counter top for so many months and didn’t rot. This makes me wonder if these apples had gone through some kind of chemicals, radiation treatment?? Norman apple surely would start to rot. Anyone know what might be the causes, the hard texture, not rot?? At this moment, I decided let the apples to sit there just to see how long it takes for them to start to break down, grow mold or something.

4 Likes

I have a good sized Ozark Premier plum (6-7 feet) that I’ve had to tie up with 4 point stakes. Last nights storm blew it over again (ropes broke). Do i need to really cut this tree back to see it it will grow enough roots to support it? What advice? And if so can I cut it back now? It did not fruit this year due to late frost.

2 Likes

Its like the Jaws line “we need a bigger boat” … just get a more rugged staking setup. I have several degrees of sturdiness I use depending on how much weight it needs to bear. Unfortunately I sometimes don’t get it strong enough the first try, I need to upgrade it after it falls over like yours did.

7 Likes

I use PVC pipes for supporting plums/pluots branches with too many fruits. The long piece goes over a rebar to keep it in place. At the top end, a tee, two elbows, and shorter pipes form a small U shape that goes right under the branch where I think it may break. It works well for the weight, but I don’t know about strong wind or storm.

2 Likes

This was to keep it standing…it was leaning badly and I was using support to straighten it. But I don’t think it matters. Storm blew it all the way over and leaves are now wilted. The tree next to it is a moonglow pear that is first year to fruit. Most of the pears were on the ground this morning. Any chance these will ripen on the shelf?

We had some very strong winds. Large trees in the community are down in several places. Other close pears are okay.

3 Likes

Sorry for your loss. According to these sites, moonglow pears ripen in early August and it will ripen to peak flavor in cool storage. I will put them in a closed paper bag with a ripe apple or banana to see what happens. If it is very humid in your area, please check them daily for spoilage.

https://www.willisorchards.com/product/moonglow-pear-tree?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=WOC74&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsbXj__Kt4wIVCB-tBh0GUgQREAYYAiABEgLsd_D_BwE#.XSe1_utKjZ4

3 Likes