R.I.P. Tim Hensley, Urban Homestead Apples, Bristol, Va/Tn

Shocked to just learn of the passing of Tim Hensley of Bristol, Va some six months ago. Many of you may have used his oldvaapples.com website that was crammed with unique information on old southern heirloom apples. Tim left a great teaching library of youtube videos (google Tim Hensley apple videos) of apple tastings, pruning, grafting how to’s. I hope his huge collection of Southern heirlooms will fall into good hands. A gentleman and a scholar.

Here is a classic Tim Hensley video on the merits of his beloved Limbertwig apple:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WSEvVMRfMQ

There are many more videos.

4 Likes

That is very sad news. He was one of the people that really got me interested in growing and propagating apples.

2 Likes

This is so sad.

A great guy, can’t believe he’s gone as he was a lot younger than I am. I got my Slemp Limbertwig scion from Tim, plus years of advice and information. I just hope his kids are ok.

I asked him for the Henry Clay apple 3 months ago. Never heard back. Was gonna call, but knew he was going thru a divorce, so let it go.

This is truly shocking and so sad. He has several wonderful children. Let’s keep his family in our thoughts and prayers, and celebrate his memory as one of the greatest nurserymen of our times.

2 Likes

Matt- Steve Kelly lists Henry Clay in his scion list.

Who is Steve Kelly?

Hello!
Do you know if anyone took over for Tim Hensley at Urban Homestead? Is there still a catalog to purchase from? Or where do we go to buy plants like we used to buy from Tim? Did any of his children or did Donna take over for him?

Thanks
Robin Wolff
Greeneville TN

It would be nice if someone did take over Urban Homestead, even if it were another name. As far as I know it just stopped once Tim passed away. The site was no longer supported. I tried looking up his site and it says it is no longer a working web page.
Hope someone knows more about this situation.

Robin, hello… Glad to meet a “local” on here. I live just outside Bristol but unfortunately never met Tim. I found the website and emailed him in 2016, unaware at the time he had already passed. As MikeC said, it doesn’t seem like anyone stepped up.

I’d have loved to have met and chatted with him…

1 Like

As I understand it, one of his daughters took it over for a brief time but for some reason couldn’t sustain it. What a loss for us all, Tim was special. David at Century Farm Nursery in NC sells a similar offering of trees.

It’s always sad when some one dies at a young/middle age. But seeing the last youtube video of him being with his young daughter just before his death. Really saddens me.

The website is no longer supported. But if you want to read his descriptions of apple varieties etc. You can still access it with wayback machine
https://web.archive.org/web/20150228225706/http://www.oldvaapples.com/appledescriptions.html

1 Like

Thank you for posting this link. I agree with you, it is sad to see that video of him with his young son. It is however nice for his son because he can always visit that video and remember his father and the great times they had together.

Thank you so much!