Raintree just raised prices again this year

I was browsing reading descriptions on Raintree nursery. They just raised prices again. Pears and cherries just went from 49.99 to 59.99 for example. Have to not compared other items. Luckily I already bought my pears at the lower price range.

3 Likes

Add shipping in and its probably a hundred bucks for a tree.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this information. I ordered 4 pear trees from Raintree on Sept 7th, and they were 49.99 each. I am glad I ordered them early for the 2022 spring shipping.

2 Likes

At least here in Colorado shipping from Raintree Nursery is pretty cheap. It is 10 dollars shipping a tree. You can basically get free shipping on 1 tree if you get 2 or more trees with the promo code MYORCHARD. In other words it is more like 70 dollars a tree here. That is still better than the 120+ dollars a local nursery will charge me here. Just certainly not as affordable as somewhere like Bay Laurel Nursery.

All nurseries seemed to have raised their prices. The prices are getting to be sort of crazy high for a bare root tree. Once one does it they all seem to do it. These prices are what local nurseries used to charge for a 5 gallon bucketed tree a few years back. I do remember a local nursery that carried Stark Bros fruit trees in their nursery many years ago. I do not think Stark Bros does that any longer. Maybe I am wrong about that.

1 Like

Insanity.

1 Like

I have bought from Raintree in the past. The trees were fine but the shipping to Wisconsin was super expensive. No offense to Raintree, but I will only order from them if I cannot find it somewhere else.

I have been getting most of what I order in from Schlabach’s Nursery lately due to price.
I have had excellent results from them. This year however I do not know what happened. They state in their catalog the rough size of their bare-root but when my trees arrived they had to be 7/16" caliper and most only 36" tall. Anything Prunus was a whip (expected to be that way as I have bought Prunus bare-root before) but the apple trees were so small compared to what they have sent me in the past. I must say all grew well so I would buy from them again after seeing the higher prices other bare-root nurseries are charging.

4 Likes

High prices, crappy trees. On my last order all the trees died. They made some mistake in storage or shipping. On the previous order several things died as well. All my other orders in the last 10 years besides one muscadine from Isons did great.

2 Likes

For cherries they are basically the only vendor that offers trees on Gisela 3 and Gisela 5 rootstocks in the United States so they certainly can charge premium prices. I have bought a fair number of trees on Gisela 5 and they have worked pretty well for me.

For apples at least historically they were offering trees on rootstocks that were poor choices for areas that had problems with fireblight. Never understood why they kept using M9 when B9 and G11 had good availability. The same situation for still using M26. So I never have bought apple trees from them even though some of the cultivars they carried I was interested in.

I don’t think any of the trees I bought were after the change in ownership. I don’t know what effect that had on tree quality or customer service.

To be fair I think now is a time of high demand/low supply of nursery trees. So I would expect higher prices and lower grade trees in general. Also when Raintree was bought out they may have funded the buy out with debt. If that was the case I would expect them to raise prices if they could and right now they can.

1 Like