Raspberry Trellis Systems

Hi Everyone! It is finally warm enough to start doing gardening work. My mulch is coming next week and so I thought about putting up a raspberry trellis. I thought I would start a picture thread where we all can show off our raspberry trellis systems and discuss their benefits and drawbacks.

I chose the I-Trellis system because it is easy to make and compact. I found some cheap 6 foot cedar posts and buried them 1 foot into the ground and screwed them into the plantar box from the inside. Then drilled at 2 and 4 feet above the planter box and put a loop of heavy duty clothesline and tightener. Overall a straightforward project for a not too handy person such as myself and keeps the aesthetics of my yard that I am looking for. I was able to complete it in a few hours. I had hoped to get the posts in a bit deeper but I hit rocky subsoil past that. My beds are 2x12 feet.

9 Likes

The pictured setup looks fine for raspberries. If the endposts are unstable side2side (due to the shallow bury), consider putting a brace from the raised bed corner to the height on the lower wire for each endpost.

2 Likes

I took inspiration from this post and some other resources to put up my raspberry trellis system this past weekend. I used some old T-posts, 3/32" stainless steel cable, and stainless wire rope clamps. I ran two cables and eyeballed the heights, I think the lower one is ~18" and the upper one is ~48". I probably could have done with a third height but I wanted to see how I fared with 2 first.

3 Likes

A “V” trellis like above allows you to tie your fcanes to either side of the V. This separates them some giving more light… and allows a open space in the center for your new primocanes to come up thru.

Your primocanes come up in the middle… and your fruiting fcanes are on the outside edge for easy fruit picking.

Once your fcanes are finished fruiting… you can cut and remove them… then separate and tie your new primocanes to the outside wires.

Just having support wires in the middle and a single post on each end… can get a bit crazy when you have floricanes fruiting and primocanes coming up in the midst of all that… and only one wire in the middle to tie all that too.

I have done it both ways… but prefer the V trellis now for both blackberries and raspberries.

4 Likes

This is where I got the V trellis idea.

Watch to the end … he gives some good pruning tips and talks about the benefits of V trellis.

3 Likes

Hello, I’m looking to build a similar trellis for my erect and semi-erect blackberries. What gauge wire did you use and how did you tie it off? Any tips for placing t-posts in the ground at an angle?

Great job!

@RobertH … that bed was around 8 ft long.

I used best I remember 5 ft u-post… and 17 ga wire… purchased at local TSC store to make it.

For a small bed like that it worked well.

Of course you could beef that up quite a bit by changing to t-post and a heavier Gauge wire or steel cable. If you were making longer beds you might want to do that.

When I drove those post in I tried to keep the bottom of the posts 1.5 ft apart and the top 3 ft apart. Got pretty close on that.

Good luck to you.

1 Like

Thank you. My patch is 21ft long. Want to keep the trellis design simple. Debating whether or not I need to put earth anchors on each end.