RdB Fig

I’ve asked this question on this and other forums, and now I’ve answered
my own question. I’ve seen nurseries advertise RdB as unifere, and
other fig growers not being able to answer my question as to whether
RdB is unifere or bifere. My tree produced an abundance of breba’s this year
and is now ripening it’s second crop. So this fig, at least in my zone 8,
is definitely bifere and the main crop is a little larger than the breba’s.

4 Likes

@rayrose where are you located?
I’ve never seen Brebas from RDB though I see plenty from the other Bourdeaux fig VDB.

I’m in SC

Sounds like you have VdB not RdB. Nurseries mess up A LOT keeping labels straight.

No, I have both and there’s no mix up.

What nurseries carry RdB? I have never seen a tree for sale.

RdB sells on Ebay and usually at reasonable prices. I have a plant. PM me if interested.

I’ve never heard of a nursery selling RdB so it must be a mistake. Post some leaf pictures and fruit pictures and I will let you know. RdB doesn’t produce a Brebba so no you don’t have the real thing. VdB does however produce a Brebba

Mine came from fruitnut(Steve Winter) so take it up with him. It
definitely is RdB, and I have no doubt that it is. As I posted before,
I have both figs, and they are totally different.

RdB has pretty distinctive leaves and small dark fruit. I’ve sold dozens of them and no one has ever questioned mine. These aren’t the best pictures but it’s what I could find at the moment.

My RdB looks like that and also has the same leggy growth, kind of wispy. Does anyone else notice this with RdB?

If anyone thinks mine isn’t RdB I’d like to know. Just because I think mine is true doesn’t make it so.

For me this variety is very vigorous and isn’t precocious. The plants above haven’t been fertilized much this fall. The tree looks “fuller” with more fertilizer.

RdB is a French fig. This link from the French Fig Farm says it produces one crop starting mid August. Pictures of the leaves and fruit look like mine.

1 Like

That’s definitely RdB I’ve just never heard of it producing a Brebba crop. I know there are other Bordeauxs that do. That’s what threw me off. My RdB is about 6 years old and has never produced one. Only the mane crop

2 Likes

My girlfriend and I ordered a RdB fig from fruitnut last year and it arrived in good condition and was as described. It has been my favorite fig so far, although I haven’t tried that many. I will add that we have ordered many figs from different sellers and fruitnut’s figs have been some of the best in terms of the quality of the product that arrived.

4 Likes