Red and Hardy kiwi at the store

The nicer grocery store near me had all of the kiwi today: fuzzy, golden, hardy, and red. I haven’t had red before, so I splurged the $7/lb. Hardy kiwi were from Chile. Red kiwi is from Greece, I assume it’s A. chinensis?

1 Like

It’s A. chinensis ‘Hongyang’.

2 Likes

How was its taste ?
Do you have an actual internal picture?

Thank you
Dov

Home grown Hongyang.
Very sweet, not as tart as other varieties.

2 Likes

I missed this thread… I don’t think Red Passion is Hongyang - ? - it is supposedly an improved selection of Hongyang. It is also in fact two varieties sold under that patented name, there is an early-ripening one and a late-ripening one. The above pictures look too yellow to me, my Hongyangs have no yellow in them (i.e. similar to @ramv).

There seem to be quite a few of these red-at-core varieties sprouting up these days, both in Europe and in China and Japan. Rainbow Red, Red Queen, RedVita, Zespri RubyRed, DongHong, etc. Many of these names are trademarks so some could be HongYang but I there are too many trademarked names for them to all be one variety. I can see why based on my HongYangs, they taste amazing. I just re-did my HongYang trellis so it will have more room to expand now.

1 Like

Dong Hong seems different from Hong Yang. Photos show it with a paler flesh than Hong Yang. I also saw a single retailer carry both of these so I assume they are different.

Another one that has this red eye is Chu Hong.

AFAIK, these are not available for sale in the US.