Red fleshed pears

@derekamills

What year does Joey’s usually set fruit for you? Mine looks like it may produce but you know how that goes.

should by the third year, they are very vigorous trees

1 Like

This year i got a new red fleshed pear:

Karmozijn de Sonnaville
Karmozijn Pears Information and Facts (specialtyproduce.com)

Now i have: Lubenicarka, Sanguinole, Cocomerina and Karmozijn de Sonnaville.

11 Likes

@Luisport

That is a beautiful pear i can’t wait for the review on taste.

2 Likes

Thanks! This is a cooking variety but people say it’s great for that… :grin:

2 Likes

Yes, that is a lovely pear, and it is very big. It’s a cross of Conference x Sommer Blutbirne, done by Dutch amateur breeder Piet de Sonnaville (the same breeder who bred the Karmijn de Sonnaville apple)
It is for cooking and it is delicious when cooked with a little cinnamon.
Nice find, Luis, where did you find a tree or scions of it? Here I have found the pears themselves in the market, but haven’t been able to find a tree or scion yet.

4 Likes

You can find it here and Xinjiang pears too… :grin:

Fruitbomen en kleinfruit in een groot assortiment. (aatreeshop.nl)

1 Like

Thank you, Luis, I’ll check it, I have ordered from them before, they have nice trees.

2 Likes

Fairly confident they’re not stateside, except for in collector’s collections. I have all the USDA ones, but I wish I could get Karmozijn de Sonnaville. If anyone stateside has scion let me know, I’ll pay or trade :crazy_face:

5 Likes

There definitely are good red fleshed apples! I’m getting cuttings this year too! Unknown flavor, but probably good.

This guy is breeding them!

1 Like

Any red fleshed apples you recommend?

I found a red fleshed par on your friends site You recommended for Clara Fris and now I’m back here studying them! :joy:

small world.

1 Like

@Trav If you scroll up in the thread, you’ll see that Steven commented here, he’s a regular user of the forum

3 Likes

I’m very familiar on red flesh apples, but have grafted my second red fleshed pear…so I’ll have to be patient.

2 Likes

I was lucky and got a mature pear tree when I bought my current property. Grafted rottkottig frau ostergotland (thanks 39th parallel) onto it two years ago, see fruit spurs so hoping ill get a sample this year if the racoons dont beat me to it. Also put magness and warren on there.

2 Likes

I got Rotlottig Frau Oster from @BobVance 5 or so years back and grafted it onto OHxF87 and planted it in my neighbor’s yard - with his permission of course. There may have been a bloom or 2 last year, but nothing came of those. This year looks like probably 100 or so buds, so maybe I’ll finally get to try this elusive pear as well. I had heard of it as primarily a perry pear, so I don’t imagine it will taste great for fresh eating, but we’ll see.

Unfortunately, he was supposed to stake the tree and never did and it flopped over a bit. It seems stable at least.

5 Likes

You’ll probably get to sample it before I do. I graft it in 2013 and it still hasn’t produced, though I think there were a few flowers the last few years. I just transplanted the (very large) tree, so it will probably be at least another year, assuming it survives.

3 Likes

I hope you do! I cannot wait to see it!

1 Like

lubenicarka pear tree

1 Like

You too are going for red-fleshed pears. I also went this way.
But keep in mind that the majority of these pears are cooking pears. When they are edible raw, they are often small. I am grafting 14 new varieties this year. Probably the best of which is called marriage. It’s a creation of 1998. So feel in the eyes of others who are more forgotten fruits.

8 Likes

It’s not correct to call it ‘Marriage’. The name must be transliterated, so we should call it ‘Vesilna’. The size and taste of this pear is way better than any other pink flesh pears in existence. The guy I got it from, is enjoying them for few years now, because they are well suited for fresh eating. I hope all your grafts take nicely.
There is another fully red flesh pear in the making, but still going through all the issues.

2 Likes