Red fleshed pears

It’s an attractive pear. Nice pic @Arhus76.

Not translated, but transliterated. You call a variety “as is”, not translating it. Please keep this in mind.
Zone 6B will be very suitable for it.

3 Likes

Apologies. I knew what you meant, but still managed to over-correct my quote. I’ll keep it in mind for when I resolve my current pear tree problem. My current strategy seems to be collecting nurse stock to practice grafting on in hopes that the final solution allows for some multigrafting. I’m a bit backwards this year.

I don’t think there is any grammar mistake being made to call breeding 2 pears ‘marrying’ their traits together. I do think there’d be a problem if your 2 pears only had male or female parts and you ‘married’ them though.

That wasn’t the grammar mistake. The Ukranian name transliterates into ‘Vesilna’ which translation softwares translate into Wedding or Marriage (noun). The name is still Vesilna, which is what was being kindly corrected until I jumped in with both boots.
A marriage of traits is certainly what is sought by hybridization, either intentionally or by discovery of the natural happenstance.
This little tangent makes me wonder how often nomenclature has been thusly rendered and how often technology is going to increase the occurence.

5 Likes

Well the correct name is Vesilna because this is the origin name. That’s what should be used. For me don’t make any sense to name another thing than the real origin name. I have Vesilna pear in my collection and will name it like that, because this is the real name of this variety.

4 Likes

Where did you get it from? Its not spread even in Ukraine.

1 Like

Sorry, i don’t reveal my good sources… but it’s from Czech Republic.

2 Likes

Those Czechs are always after our new varieties :smile:

3 Likes

the 2 photos are of the same Vesilma (wedding) variety. I know several people who grow it.
Here is another selection in Europe. The selection of redflesh pears now seems to have started. I must try to find her. For the moment I have collected 35 varieties of pears with red flesh.

4 Likes

we are all after the good varieties. But it must be recognized that the Ukrainians are very good farmers.
I am often surprised to discover European varieties unknown to us but cultivated in Ukraine. :wink:

3 Likes

It is true that it is not widespread, but I discovered that a person also has it in France and it has already had fruit. Everything is going very fast.

@Luisport I agree, but the translation very often seems essential and it is important to know it.
At home it is called Vesilma. If you tell me about the wedding pear, I know what it is.
But if it sounds like that we should keep the writing.
I received it’s pears this year:
新玉
红贵妃
四号
红考密斯
秋月
奥红一号
彩虹梨
I am unable to rewrite these names. So I translated them.
There is for example the Raimbow or the pretty red concubine…
Translation seems essential.
I put you a picture of these 2 pears.

3 Likes

Well regarding Chinese or Japanese varieties i use the names they call, on our letters. I don’t invent the names for them.
I have the red stripped nashi and call the Chinese name, not rainbow pear.

3 Likes

Be careful, there are several red and yellow pears. There is the Ju Hong. The Chinese who sent it to me called this pear Raimbow. Not so simple in my opinion.

2 Likes

I have it and call it Ju Hong…

3 Likes

They are actually 3 different names used for red/yellow striped asian pears known to me. Whether these names are synonyms for the Ju Hong, or they are names of different varieties is still not yet clear. I noticed that chinese sellers sell one variety under different names quite often. Sometimes they even make up names.
So yeah, one should be very careful buying from China. It would be wise to do a research beforehand.
That red pear you show I saw selling under different names (sellers used the same photo), but the only reasonable name I found only by one seller - “Aohong” if my memory is correct. And if you analyze the name, it is Korean.

2 Likes

I have the Ju Hong too. I also saw the fruit. Raimbow is another variety not yet available in Europe. When you see Raimbow, you’ll think of me.:wink:

1 Like

I already saw that Rainbow name… i don’t know the diferences between it and Ju Hong.
I allways want to call the real name. It’s like Panzao and donut jujube… for me is Panzao. But if you want to call it another thing is up to you.

2 Likes

@Luisport

The leaves are red and skin of the fruit, but my understanding is that the flesh was white on that pear. The foliage is fascinating. Joeys red fleshed pear does not have red floiage. Red skinned pears that i grow do not have red foliage. That is a very interesting variety! Looking forward to seeing the color of the blooms when you post them later. Have never seen a pear that didn’t have mostly white blooms. It is worth noting some buds have some pink in the bloom. Harrow sweet and others are like that. If the pear has pink blooms that would be truly rare.

3 Likes

It will be very interesting once they both fruit. Will be funny to find out it turns out to be one same variety :smile:

2 Likes