Red himalayan mulberry?/taiwan long fruit mulberry? Vs pakistan mulberry

As the title says, anyone has a bit of more information or grows these cultivars? I have the pakistan mulberry (alba/macroura - the classification is hard to understand), and saw online the other varieties. This lady has the red himalayan and refers its different than the pakistan and more tasty, so i am adamant in getting one of these!! https://youtu.be/4jLdM5SL7Bw About the taiwan long mulberry i know nothing… But it seems to be common in Taiwan and China, seems not to be self fertile, and apparently sometimes gives round fruits, other times long fruits like himalayan. Regards

Red himalayan ???

2 Likes

Taiwan long fruit mulberry

5 Likes

To be honest red himalayan and taiwan long fruit look very very similar… So i dunno if we are really speaking about different things. I’ll wait for other opinions

The fruiting mulberry sold as Pakistan mulberry is a cultivar of Morus alba. The insipid Morus macroura labeled “Pakistan” in the GRIN record is grown for pulp/timber.

A ‘mulberry’ that produces round fruits is a Maclura species, such as Che.

The ‘Red Himalayan’ shown in the video is clearly an M. alba cultivar. Note that in the Himalayan foothills of Pakistan, India, China in the 5,000 to 7,000 elevation range the temperatures rarely drop below 40F. Check the latitude.

1 Like

perhaps you’ve aready visited this begian nursery, but just in case…

http://demoerbeiboom.be/nl/catalogus/moerbei/morus-macroura

No need to go to Belgium to determine the correct species of the cultivars in question when the NCR repository at Wolfskill Orchard (Winters, CA) is within driving range.

Hi juju, yep i already contacted that nursery :slight_smile:

Hi Richard, thanks for the clarification but i wasnt speaking about Che (i have 1). The few lines i found on chinese/taiwan sites describe the taiwan long mulberry also as a 4 season mulberry, possibly non self fertile and with the odity of been able to produce both more rounded fruits or the long fruits. Regarding the classification, i really dont care if the pakistani is a alba or a macroura, just the taste /shape interests me. It sure doesnt look like any other albas though… Lol! Regarding the “himalayan”, seems to be even longer and thinner than a pakistani and maintaining the red colour once ripe. I am into oddities, so i am keen into getting 1 of each, even if in the end they reveal to be the same thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, Belgium is in driving range for me, not the states… Lol

1 Like

In my experience, when a location appears in a plant name it often refers to its place of cultivation and not its origin. For example Malaysian Red Guava is a selection from Central America. :smile:

The length of fruits shown in the video is nothing unusual in my experience with M. alba cultivars.

The statement about the Taiwanese cultivar producing in all four seasons is believable – in their tropical climate!

1 Like

These guys in Thailand i believe, seem to have a few different elongated mulberries cultivars/varieties, one from Sri Lanka i believe. Fun to watch for mulberry fans https://youtu.be/hsCuIs17s9I

Well, my alba’s (unknown cultivars) produce crappy, small white/black fruits, wellington, oscar, shangri la and other hybrids are a bit bigger, my pakistan produces huge fruits. However my all time best is my oldest nigra, nothing beats those berries, amaaazing taste

Uploading…

7 Likes

One of my Apple trees dates back to the days of Henry III. Although it only produced a crop per year in his (your) climate, it faithfully produces 3 crops per year here in zone 10b.

Now these guys in Thailand are in zone 12? I’m just not sure if something that multi-crops there will do so in 8b.

1 Like

same here. And for folks in humid/rainy/colder climates-- adaptability is another biggie.
incidentally, if you’re driving from portugal to spain and have mulb cuttings or live plants(or even animals), would that be illegal?

1 Like

Within the european union we can move people, merchandise, animals and plants without taxes, quarantines, etc…, thats the beauty of EU :))) . For plants it is advisable to have a phitosanitarian certificate in case someone asks questions, but i moved a lot of things between countries without it with no problems, for animals you can also move them but its advisable to have the EU animal passport. I have 1 for my dog for me to bring him to Portugal on holidays, no need to quarantine. Now with the damn brexit in the UK lets see whats going to happen for people in th UK

You only can find some more problems, bureaucracy if you are flying. If you are driving, train, boat, within the EU there are no questions asked, no border control

I had mulberry trees, big plants sent from Germany, Italy and France through corrier. No questions, no problems. I bought some mulberry cuttings from Karenkenks from ebay, she is in Arizona i believe. Did it 3 times already. First 2 times no problems, no questions. Third time border control agency asked me to pay a fee of £15 I believe. Nothing was confiscated :slight_smile: from those i was able to root my Oscar and Shangri la mulberries, but failed on Saharanpur and silk hope the 3 times :frowning: will try again

must be more of a headache now having to go through immigration/customs for anyone boarding the chunnel from france, and vice-versa