Red himalayan mulberry?/taiwan long fruit mulberry? Vs pakistan mulberry

By any chance, do you have a link to her ebay?

1 Like

Not anymore @IrishFigMadness

1 Like

This is similar to DMOR9. I have a note on it here Gardening : Himalayan Mulberry, DMOR9

The cuttings are at my sales site reallygoodplants.com

This mulberry does not root. You will need to graft it.

2 Likes

Ops. Just realized that you are in EU

3 Likes

CORRECTION. A dozen years ago the NCGR repository performed morphologic and cytology tests on their fruiting mulberries and found some anomalies due to poorly labeled donations.

Nowadays I have a few specimens of the real macroura (pun intended) and for my tastes it is tied for 1st place with Richardā€™s Buff Red.

2 Likes

Wow,your own Mulberry variety!I know,itā€™s Olson.I guess the people at Peaceful Heritage say this one and Illinois Everbearing are same.
To your knowledge,is there any information that supports or questions their determination?

2 Likes

Yeah, how could I pass it up?! For the past 2 years the RBR and IEB have fruited out-of-sync with the Illinois producing late into the summer. But they are still young plants. And now I have 4 more larger specimens from Blake - which despite having spent the winter at his place came right out of dormancy here with the rest of my collection!

While weā€™re talking about cultivars here, Iā€™d like to mention two others that my daughter Tracy and I also give high marks to:
Honey Drops
Shangri La

3 Likes

Iā€™ve tasted IE,but the plant was young also and the flavor was good.Did RBR and IE have a similar taste?
Thatā€™s interesting about Shangri La.A number of reports donā€™t rate it high in flavor.Maybe itā€™s climate related.The majority of these come from people,east of the Rockies.Honey Drops is new,to me.The one that impressed me so far,is Silk Hope.
Reading your post about the Pakistan,has me wondering if mine is the real macroura.The tree came from Burnt Ridge.

1 Like

Well, in our upsidedown and backwards climate ā€¦
RBR and IE taste the same about 1/2 the time. RBR has the best Spring crop. IE has the best late crop - very raspberry-like.

Honey Drops produces a white fruit about 1/2" to 5/8" diameter slightly irregular. The name is totally appropriate. It is sweet and never insipid.

The Shangri La surprised us too. It is close in flavor to macroura - at least here. It is black when ripe and medium size for mulberry fruit.

I have two macroura cultivars, they taste identical and scream mulberry! No overtones of other fruits or berries.

From Burnt Ridge I also obtained some seedlings, and a few of them have an interesting cutleaf pattern.

5 Likes

That is different for a Mulberry.There is a company,which I may have bought something from,because they send ads to my email.The latest one includes some Mulberries and oneā€™s leaves,resembles your cutleaf look.
They even named the plant,Digitata Mulberry(morus rohde),which I havenā€™t heard of.In the description,Morus nigra seeds were planted and these were the results.
They probably wonā€™t get my money for them right now.

2 Likes

Iā€™m familiar with that company. They are similar to Stark Bros. in that they have nurseries under contract to ship out plants in their name. And like Stark Bros. they sometimes have the plant propagated while you wait for the ā€œseasonā€ for shipment.

Actually they said black mulberry which Iā€™m pretty sure is not M. nigra.

1 Like

Yes,thanks for catching that.

2 Likes

I have some seedlings of M. macroura, and about half of them had the same ā€œfingeredā€ leaf blade shape. They didnā€™t break their winter dormancy yet, but they look not dead for now, so I canā€™t wait to see if their leaves changed or not.

3 Likes

Many of my wild seedling plants have the same fingered leaves. Never had fruits on them, but you can graft other mulberry varieties on these seedlings. They grow up right, rather skinny branches.

1 Like

Bizarre leaves. Almost looks like wormwood or mugwort. Iā€™ve seen very finely loned mulberries before, but those take the cake!

1 Like

This one will arrive tomorrowā€¦

7 Likes

I have a Red Himalayan tree (grafted) and it has been growing large for 3 yrs and fruiting for 2 years. I think this Red Himalayan fruit and leaves looks very similar to the Taiwan Long. It is a vigorous grower, leaves are one of the largest of my mulberry varieties (22) and fruits are long, firm, sweet (brix =26). My white pakistan and Australian Green measures brix =30, it is the sweetest of all the varieties I grow. I will finally get to taste 3 fruits from my Persian mulberry any day now since it has the ripe fruits for the first time.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s the Red Himalayan leaves and some fruit photos.

6 Likes

I grafted it this year. I have another variety called ā€œskinnerā€ - also grafted this year that might be the same or similar.
If possible try to get DMOR9 Himalayan which is supposedly better tasting.

2 Likes

Great. I have white and black Pakistan. I have chicken claw, Taiwan long red and black too.

2 Likes