Red Leaves on Green Gage Plum?

pretty foliage! do you have a picture of the tree when its dormant?

1 Like

Here are a couple close ups.

The problem I have with them pulling out before our final frost is their trees come in March or early April. Then mid April to May they are selling annuals like dill or petunias. Besides even with their perennial stuff I have not had much luck with them. My hydrangea was dropping leaves soon after I bought it so I returned it to them. One time we got one of their assorted annual pots and we got lucky with no cold that year. We saved some money for my grandma’s pot. For their herbs you are not saving much if any money anyway. Gurney’s was not that more expensive with shipping after a discount and you can get the 2 pack deal for around the same price if getting a lot (unlikely needed if they are perennial herbs). If buying only a few Home Depot or Lowes has a better price point on herbs. You can’t get herbs like French Terragon at Home Depot but I don’t think Costco handles that either. Not to be confused with Russian Terragon.

Here is the leaves of my plant. They might look like spice zee’s leaves you posted too. The leaf edge is smooth. I’m happy too if it’s a spice zee tree. But I doubted it as looks like that nursery doesn’t sell spice zee trees. The grafting idea is great. I may graft some good plums on it next year if it’s not the tree I wanted.

I just bought some French tarragon at a local nursery.

Mine is just starting to leaf out, but it looks like yours, red with an undertone of green.

I emailed performance nursery yesterday, telling them that I bought a green gage from Costco that they labeled that is not a green gage and did they know what it might be.

No response yet but I’m sure they are closed and hopefully will respond on Monday. I will share their response here.

1 Like

I have seen sometimes where someone has a tree but it’s not listed so who knows maybe it is a necta~plum. I’m sure we will find out at some point but I’m with you if it’s a necta-plum or a Hollywood plum I’m keeping mine too.

That is a huge difference in growth rate do they both have the same rootstock? Or is Bavays naturally a bigger tree?

I have both green gage and Bavays. From my experience Bavays puts out way more growth than Green Gage. My Bavays got as big as my cherry trees planted one or 2 years before it. I do think they are different rootstock though.

I wasn’t trying to defend Costco, I hate their stores if only because my brain short circuits in Big Box stores of their size. I just didn’t want any members to think that most temperate fruit trees were as tender as tomatoes. Figs are just about that tender.

It is more so an issue with Costco if you keep going to the same store. Costco tries to implement the treasure hunting mentality you see at estate sales so even in the same store they on constantly rotating things around and changing inventory. This makes people wonder around the store. If you change stores it is even worse. I remember getting off the plane in Hawaii, waiting for the car and then going to Costco. By the time we got the car it was 4 something there so 8 something our time. We went to Costco across the street and spent 2 hours there going through every aisle. We took a swim at sunset after checking into our hotel and packing everything and it was just tiring. Costco typically tires us out and after the plane ride, checking into the hotel and car thing it was even harder. The next day we woke up at 6 their time to check out excursions with the concierge and they offered a time share conference for 200 dollars off our excursions. It was the only time in Hawaii you saw us so sad. Exhausted from Costco and the other stuff the day prior and getting a sales pitch by some super aggressive salesman and not being able to leave.

I will. I hope it’s a good one. All of my trees are pretty young so it might be a while. I heard sometimes five or more years for European plums to produce? Emerald Beaut came with four plums on it in a tiny pot. We put it in the ground and you should see it now, it looks like it’s getting ready to go to war with a blossom battle. None of them have opened thank goodness because we had about 8 inches of snow this morning but that little tree is totally covered with green beginnings. I can’t tell a leaf bud from a flower bud right away but it’s doing a lot of something, that’s for sure.

Thank you and that is interesting I was looking at my picture greatly enlarged and I think my leaves do start out with some edging. The mystery deepens……

I would be okay with a nectaplum.

The briliant almost highlighter green edging on the leaves doesnt show well in pictures but in sunlight is obvious.

Honestly, though it is a pretty little tree, isn’t it?

1 Like

How long it takes depends on cultivar. I think Clarkinks has talked about it with his pears. He talks on how some pears will bear fruit in a few years, some depend on rootstock etc. I think he has claimed even on standard pear rootstock some pear are super precocious and will bear in like 4 years but pears like warren, seckle and magness will be 10-20 years on a standard rootstock. I have some Mirabelle wanting to flower and produce in a year but my green gage and Bavays Green Gage are 3 years old now but I have not seen any flowers on it.

I have no idea because I’m just starting out and have no comparison, but my Warren and Magnesscame from TOA last season and it looks like the Magness is on OHxF 87 and the Warren is on OHxF 333, at least that’s what it says this year on their website, not sure if that rootstocks change year to year.

It’s surprising when young trees come with fruit on them like our emerald beaut and golden delicious apple did. Apple is on M111 and plum is on Citation Hybrid.

Are your greenish leaves red underneath? That does fit for Hollywood, not sure if that feature fits thundercloud or not.

That’s why i love the ease for green gage to air layer. You can have a new tree and avoid the wait. Two years from putting rooting “balls” onto tree to this.

1 Like

After much deliberation, I have decided that we have Hollywood Plum trees. The second guess would be thundercloud, but it doesn’t look like performance nursery has that one. Did you see thundercloud on their list? I could have missed it.
In my search for pictures of purple leaf sand cherry I found the following pictures and although stunning I don’t think they fit with the green copper color of your tree and also both yours and mine seem to have more of a tree growth habit. Isn’t the Sand Cherry a bush that can be pruned into a tree shape?

IMG_7660
Also seems to me that, even if they are disorganized, they probably have the fruit ones together and the decorative ones elsewhere and they did list Hollywood under their fruit plums.
So if someone put a gun in my head and I had to guess I would say we have the Hollywood plum and hopefully I’d still be alive.