Red Love

Look at the color of this amazing apple variety

IMG_20210630_224337_896

14 Likes

i just put one in the ground. love colorful apples like it.

There are several varieties of Redlove apple series. Not sure which one you have.

Yes dmetha410, but all the varieties of the Red Love collection are extremely acidic (they only serve to make pink cider).
However, the new range of Kissabel red flesh apples (there are 3 varieties) are balanced in terms of sugar-acidity.

This apples.

Kissabel

https://www.kissabel.com/

The Kissabel varieties are already in my collection

Regards
Jose

7 Likes

The red love odysso are very good size and sweet. Not acid.

3 Likes

Even the seeds are red.

1 Like

Luis, Redlove Odisso is the variety of the Redlove collection that has the lowest acidity of the entire collection of red flesh apples from the Swiss apple breeder Markus Kobelt program.

https://www.finedininglovers.com/article/redlove-apples

The publisher for Europe is Lubera

http://www.lubera.co.uk/plants/fruit-trees/apple-trees/red-fleshed-apple-trees-redloves/

And the distributor for Spain is Lurberry

red love
Letā€™s see how I explain this without bothering anyone.
It is a collection of apples that have an ā€œexoticā€ appearance due to the red color of the flesh and its excellent external appearance.
It has been several years since I uprooted the trees of these varieties from my orchard, because they are not worth a penny in taste (not even the Odisso).
There is a variety that goes very unnoticed, since it does not have such an intense red color in its meat, however it has magnificent taste qualities.
I mean the Hidden Rose variety.
This variety of apple is interesting (gustatively speaking for an apple with pink flesh).
I still cannot objectively comment on the three varieties of Kissabel apple, since they are planted in my orchard this winter, but I can already anticipate that they are sure to be excellent.
I know that talking about this type of varieties obtained so recently can be presumptuous on my part ( this is not my intention ), but it has its reason for being.
I explain it to all the members of the forum.

In Spain, in the province of Soria, in the town of Burgo de Osma, there is the largest apple orchard in the world ā€œFinca la Rasaā€, it belongs to the NUFRI company.
Through a friend we have a close relationship of friendship with the foreman of the farm, and every year they introduce new varieties.
This year they have introduced these varieties:

Kalei
kisabel (the three varieties)
Morgana kizuri
Xeleven swing
Golden Parsi Darosa

As the foreman knows perfectly well, that my friend and I have no desire for profit or to multiply these types of varieties, but only to enjoy them, when they introduce varieties, he sends us one or two trees of each variety.

The same thing that happens with this example, happens with many more, because I have an excellent friendship with many very important people, from the fruit world of my country.

For this reason, when I comment that I have some varieties of very recent obtaining, I do not say it with the intention of being presumptuous, if not quite the opposite, it is to comment on information in an objective way, since I have in mi orchard this type of cultivars thanks to my good relationships.

Regards
Jose

9 Likes

If varmints or critters or 2-legged critters donā€™t steal my Odysso, Iā€™ll report on it in a few weeks. I think mostly I can, given a few years, improve on the efforts of Markus Kobelt.

Cierce is definitely a RedLove that is acidicā€¦not for eatingā€¦but might make cider.

1 Like

Yes it has some malus niedzwetzkyana in it .

links (second one explains many different threated trees , and good to browse.)

BlockquoteThe apple is native to the foothills of the Tian-Shan mountain range in Central Asia, with the largest remaining populations in Kyrgyzstan

3 Likes

Itā€™s red love Era @mamuang

Well I donā€™t agree to the fact that this variety serves to make only Cider @Jose-Albacete

The apples were created by Markus Kobelt, a nurseryman in Buchs, Switzerland, in the Rhine Valley overlooking the Alps.

Kobelt developed his prized fruit in 2010,

Here are some benefits you must know:

allegedly by cross-pollinating Royal Gala and Braeburn apples with some other, secret red-fleshed varieties that werenā€™t known for their taste. ,optimal hydration,

It is of a good content of soluble fibres, it contributes to limit the absorption of blood cholesterol (parameter to be controlled within the framework of the dyslipidemia)

It is balanced well in fructose and glucose, its juice can use the preparation of drinks of the effort for the sportsman

It is polyphenol rich , genuine antioxydant natural which fights against the degeneration of the cells, it contributes to the prevention of the cardiovascular diseases and certain cancers.

This is of heating low value, it is a true cut-hunger ā€œallied thinnessā€ for a balanced food (the tasting of a raw apple obliges at a degree and an important time of chewing which allows a real feeling of satiety),

2 Likes

dmehta410, if all that is wonderful, they have some fantastic properties.
But they taste like burning rays of acidity hahahahahaha.
I like the fruit to have healthy qualities, but I donā€™t eat it for its healthy qualities, I eat it and I like it for its flavor, and in general I prefer subacid varieties to varieties with high acidity (especially apples).
I assure you that no matter how beneficial the Redlove Era variety is, a simple Rubinette is a million times more delicious, this is an irrefutable fact.
If I want to fill myself with antioxidants, I only have to harvest the Queen Garnet plums, which apart from being very healthy are delicious.
But Redlove apples ā€œare very acidityā€ ajjjjjjjjjjjj.

Regads
JosƩ

2 Likes

My question is what extra nutrients does that red colored flesh if any give us. Iā€™m not sure anyone knows yet. A friend with an orchard mentioned something that always bothered me about red fleshed apples flavor which was they all taste similar. He said what if the red color is the source of the flavor noone likes about red fleshed apples. What if he is right and people are trying to breed the red out of red fleshed apples.

1 Like

Suppositories are also beneficial to health, but almost no one likes them.
The flavor and texture is what mainly determines the quality of a fruit variety, the color is quite secondary.
Whatā€™s more, a blind manā€™s opinion about the taste of Redlove apples would be interesting.

Regards
JosƩ

4 Likes

Clark, there are quite a few studies. U of Michigan for instance. Also N. zealand and Japan.
As ā€œeveryone knowsā€ (there goes that ā€˜settled scienceā€™ again ha ha)ā€¦red fleshed carrots, peppers, okra, and so forth have more antioxidants and anthocyanins than regular colored carrots, beans or whatever.

Same with apples. Red peels are slightly healthier than green ones.

And deep red flesh multiplies the effectā€¦pink flesh somewhere in between.

Iā€™m not the lab scientistā€¦so I donā€™t have a study to publishā€¦but theyā€™re out there.

Cranberries, blueberries, blackberriesā€¦are healthier in that sense than most applesā€¦maybe even the red fleshed ones. :relieved:

3 Likes

Every color has different compounds Orange carrots orange persimmons Bio Carotene
Same with Purple m yellow different Medicinal properties (just posting quickly )
just look at any Purple Cabbage add , but green is healthy as wellā€¦

As far as tastes very sour as well with bitter can be added to smoothies
like coffee /tea Milk or fat binds with the bitterness
different climates , and different cultures or peoples tastes are different
could also ripen the apples differently in different climates

You see it all over the forum, where one thing is good one place, but bland in another
maybe to much heat, and sometimes not enough,
but could also be just different Opinions Beauty in the eye of the Beholder.
Cannot say your Apple is better then his

How long did these apple store for see that a lot as well sometimes improve with age
You seem knowledgeable so I think you know better,
but just saying since it is a forum, and other might not know better,

1 Like

I agree with your opinion Sirā€¦but we cannot deny the fact that due to of itā€™s High in rich nutrientsā€¦and thatā€™s why we are getting almost double price for red love Apple then the traditional delicious varities from market. @Jose-Albacete

2 Likes

Cranberries, Blueberries, black Berries I believe is less in soluble Fiber then the apple
Also they are good for Lungs

So I do not go for what is more healthy
Drinking pure Cherry juice is very good for arthritis , but tastes like lemon juice
, and lemon Juice is not something people enjoy unless of coarse prepared right diluted
just like this apple might be.

You know what though Wine has resveratrol in the skins
when it is fermented in contact with the skin extracting it *-
Muscadines have A HUGE percent more in the skins

1 Like

If I had gotten started in middle age instead of nearing retirement, I am confident I could come up with a new and tastier variety than the Red Lovesā€¦and I just may be able to anyhowā€¦as I have 30 red fleshed varieties and lots of sweeter and better keeping apples and better textured apples to cross them with. But it all takes time (and then there are the mishaps like first intentional cross and saving seeds and they sprouted in storage before I knew and could get them plantedā€¦and then last year 100 percent apple crop lost to freezes) This year I didnā€™t have pollen from the best varieties availableā€¦but Iā€™ll have red fleshed apples and will be saving seeds to plant next spring.

I am sure the Brix can be raised, and probably the acid and tannin can be reduced for a good eating dark red fleshed apple. (And the Japanese or others are likely to do so by gene splicing if it canā€™t be done by simple breeding.)

3 Likes

A discussion about the bigger malus sieversii that was bland is a recent discussion
that could be a good one to try

(quote from discussion, and quote from Smithonian (reduced )

Malus sieversii*** , much larger than other wild apples.
soft and have a **very plain flavor disliked **,ā€
domestic =
46 percent of the domestic apple Malus sieversii
21 percent European crabapple, Malus sylvestris;
the other 33 percent uncertain origins.

Thread

1 Like