Reviewing Nurseries

McKenzie farms, Madison Citrus, Just fruits and exotics (with the exception of one Lila Avocado that was pitiful) and One green world I can’t say anything bad about. The plants are always robust and healthy. I have the opposite experience a lot of you have with OGW and definitely with USPS. I’d rather pay more for ups or fedex to ship my stuff than allowing the usps a crap shot at delivery. They have on multiple occasions not felt like walking down my driveway and instead just left a “unable to deliver” message on a Saturday when I can’t pick it up until Monday. Luckily nothing has died from their slow shipping speeds but I have gotten nearly rotten fruit twice due to that, paying for 2 day priority shipping and it taking 7 days. Ups and fedex always get my plants to me super fast and un damaged. Etsy is great for seedlings and cuttings, fruitwood is the best scionsource also imo. But honestly I don’t have many bad experiences anywhere, maybe eburgess when I was dumb enough to order some things from just took forever for them to ship.
Rain tree has always gotten me very nice looking plants but yeah always takes a long time for them to ship to me, but so far it’s been worth the wait.

4 Likes

That’s definitely the opposite of my experience! I’m sure there are regional differences in all three of them, but FedEx is always late, and almost always says it’s on time for days after it should have been delivered and then says “delayed” after it’s finally delivered late. I don’t think I’ve ever received a FedEx delivery by the original estimated delivery date. Maybe once.

UPS is more hit or miss, but usually on time. But of the three, they are the only one that has delivered clearly damaged boxes. I’m talking giant holes with branches sticking out or soil leaking. On two separate occasions. In both cases the trees were still alive though.

I’ve occasionally had a USPS package show up a day or two late, but also regularly have them come a day or even two days earlier than the original estimate. I’ve never had anything marked undeliverable or had to pick anything up at the post office, but I’m in a suburban neighborhood without a gate or anything like that, that might be an excuse to not deliver something. I chat with our mail carrier often, he seems very professional and even told me I don’t need to schedule a package pick-up when I’m sending stuff, he’ll just take them as long as they are easy to carry back to his truck.

I will occasionally pay extra for USPS when the other choice is FedEx.

1 Like

Same type of living situation, like a 40 foot driveway, they just don’t like delivering packages in my experience. I’ve had 2 seed orders from baker creek given to wrong houses, one small tree delivered to the wrong house. One of those was lost for good and the other 2 I called the local post office and they went and retrieved them and delivered them which was nice and all but I’ve never had fedex or ups lose, damage, or be late much less deliver to the wrong house haha

2 Likes

Frankly, I’d rather have LTL freight than UPS or FEDEX,just saved me near 300 dollars on one box.

I guess different parts of the country from and to make a difference on which carrier performs better.

For me shipping trees from the west coast to south Louisiana UPS has done better.

FedEx almost always gets stuck in northern Mississippi and marked ‘weather delay’ which is always a lie as there is never any weather issue within many hundreds off miles… I assume it’s more a personnel issue with not enough workers.

4 Likes

LTL freight is cheaper than any of the package guys. Recent shipment, FedEx quoted $377.
Freight/trucking company quoted $147. One box about 36 inches in all directions, under 40 pounds.

1 Like

That being the case, I’m not aware if nurseries give you that choice for shipping…

2 Likes

As a dedicated user of FedEx for our shipping I feel like they are pretty solid on getting deliveries to where they need to go consistently. Prices have definitely gone up, but not nearly as much as some shippers try to make you believe. Most are charging extremely inflated prices to make more money on their products not to cover cost of shipping. We are a little guy in the world of shipping but do have a commercial account. Next time you get a shipment of anything go into FedEx, UPS or USPS and plug the numbers into the shipping estimator and see what the shipping charge is. The largest companies get shipping cost reductions just from the sheer volume the ship and yet the price you are quoted will often be less or waaayyy less.

2 Likes

I have this box…it’s about 36" inches (I didn’t actually get a ruler out) in all directions.
It is under 40 pounds.

To get it from Michigan to Kentucky by FedEx … the quote price was $377 dollars!
(If that is not FedEx charging too much, what might be?)

By the way, I had it put on a pallet and shipped by freight on a tractor-trailer for $147.56…and it definitely weighed more being strapped to a wooden pallet. LTL freight much cheaper than FedEx…and it’s not going to get set off at an incorrect address either.

So you arrange for the shipping yourself? Since I’ve not seen a nursery offer this for shipping.

Some, especially at the wholesale level, do try to give the customer an option. I doubt your Gurneys or Raintrees or Cummins are going to offer you choices unless you’re buying hundreds or thousands of dollars in goods.
(And most freight companies do add a surcharge if the delivery address is a home or apartment or something.)

I typed it into my account to see what it would say. It wants to ship via FedEx Freight due to the size of the box, so I can’t give you a legitimate cost. I would guess FedEx freight is a lot higher than normal FedEx shipping. Though I have had things delivered by FedEx freight and I didnt feel like I was paying an excessive amount, but then again that was deliveries from major companies that send 100s of packages a day through there account.

1 Like

Was just looking around for low chill fuzzy kiwi and again had to laugh at the prices at fast-growing-trees.

3-gallon Hayward for 149.95!!! Who the hell is buying their stuff!!!

Crazy.

Elmwood looks like another choice for me to try. Bought a Saanichton and Matua plug. Matua will pollinate Elmwood as well. Can’t fit more than 2 female and a male.

2 Likes

I would suggest two males side by side. If your male goes down like mine did, your females are useless for several years.

1 Like

A friend purchased an ornamental cherry from Fast Growing Trees against my recommendation solely based on their prices. The tree died back significantly and they ended up replacing it, so I will say from hearing about that saga they at least offer decent customer service for their high prices.

Would hope so after charging you the cost of 5 trees. They are still 3 trees up.

1 Like

They have to pay for those top-of-the page ads in MSN and Google somehow. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Has anyone had experience with Van Wells Nursery with rootstock?

They seem to be the only nursery I can find that gives a caliper choice for purchasing OHxF87.

By looking at the caliper of first year Asian pear growth, the rootstock I bought last year would be too small to graft the Asian pear to without growing out for a year.

I may buy a bundle and see if anyone here wants what I don’t need.

You could always attempt a z graft or other method if you can’t track something down.

1 Like

I’m trying the easiest ways first. T&G worked well for me in my first year grafting.

Chip grafting is an option too for scion too large for the rootstock.

1 Like