Rojo Brillante from Spain

What a rare fine that I happened to stumbled across this variety from our Asian market. A large box of 15 RBs for $16. I can’t wait until they are fully ripened and go at them. Persimmon Bob told me they were real good from his own tree.

Tony

6 Likes

Tony,
I think no need to wait, probably they have been treated to remove astringency, thus are marketed in Spain

You are right. They treated them. They are very tasty. Feel kind off weird, just like eating a Hachiya crunchy.

Tony

1 Like

I am so jealous. We have no Asian markets in Newport, or anywhere close. Ugh!!!:cry:

Too bad that they were treated.When they are tree-ripe i would think that they much better and way more juicier then any persimmon that i have ever tasted.
Hope you like it.Tony i might send you sionwood a little sooner because we having a much warmer winter sofar and i do not want a repeat of the problem i have a few years back(tree’s coming out of dormancy).Bob

Tony, what Asian market do you use? I know several Asian stores in the area. I want to try those persimmons!

Envious on trying Rojo Brillante

The one on N 76th St next to Chuckie Cheese.

Tony

Thanks, this is really close to my house.

Maybe they are multiply through seed? :seedling:

William,

Had any of those Black Velvet seeds that I sent to you grow yet?

Tony

1 Like

Here is how Rojo Brillante persimmon grow in Spain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Ut0gaoFOE

Tony

After 17 days sitting on the counter and the fruits are still firm and crunchy sweet. I wish I know how to use the CO2 method to remove the astringency and try it with the American persimmons.

Tony

1 Like

From UC Davis: “Exposure to air enriched with 80% CO2 for 24 hours at 20°C (68°F) is effective in removing astringency while maintaining firmness.”

http://postharvest.ucdavis.edu/PFfruits/Persimmon/

1 Like

Maybe Styrofoam box sealed tight with a hose connect to a CO2 tank?

Tony

Or dry ice?

Yeah, that may work. Not sure if the cold will affect the persimmons in any way.

Tony

Tony, I pickup and delivery medical samples with dry ice all the time, unless you isolate the dry ice with an 1" of styrofoam you will freeze your persimmons rock solid in no time at all. Expensive experience that:grimacing:

1 Like

Good point Phil.

Tony

What we need is someone who can calculate how much dry ice is needed to fill an ice-chest with co2. The amount would be relatively small - not enough to freeze the persimmons.

Oh - just did the math. If you used a 48qt cooler, you would only need 3oz dry ice. Drop it in some water to help it thaw.