Rojo Brillante persimmons?

Could you send me a couple of Scions of Rojo Brillante , please?
evladi7654@aol.com

I checked it today.They have only American Persimmon and they are out of stock for all of them!

They had 50 Rojo Brilliante scions in stock this morning under the Asian persimmon heading…

Sorry, checked them again and the search does not show this Roje Brillante. Could you send me a Link to this page,please?

And by the way their all American Persimmons are out of stock and there is no Asian persimmons in their ‘‘products’’. At least I was not able to find them

They already sold out of the American persimmon, early bird gets the worm!

I saw and should have ordered one. I also forgot to add male hardy kiwi. I emailed, but they said they can’t modify orders, I’d have to place a new one.

And their software still charges for East of Rockies, even though I’m on the West coast.

But still a class operation, I don’t mean to imply otherwise.

2 Likes

You most definitely could work something out with @FarmGirl-Z6A to send a male hardy kiwi to Washington and meet up with one of the folks on the Hartmanns order. I know she’ll have a few extras based on her order.

1 Like

Oh, thanks. I’m just looking for scion wood, want a backup male grafted to the females because the one I have is runted.

1 Like

@aap
I potted this Rojo Brillante (on seedling rootstock) in 2021 (I think). It grew well and had two fruit that ripened in Nov.

In 2022, it started having burnt tips on every leave, young and old. You said it might be too much fertilizer so I changed the soil to be almost no added fertilizer (could not totally clean out the soil as it stuck to the roots). It flowered profusely but dropped every single flower.

This year, 2022, it leafed out well and soon has burned tips of every leave again. It has tons of flowers. Most have dropped and I believe all will drop.

Recently, I gave it diluted water soluble fertilizer 3-12-6 with micronutrients.

Anyone know what is the cause of lead tip scorched and how to fix it?

This could be a nickel deficiency. I wasn’t 100% sure of the root cause but figured it was a micronutrient problem. Adding some sprinkles of red clay earth from the garden to my pots fixed it In subsequent new growth. This isn’t ever a problem with my figs. I’ve only ever seen it in potted persimmons.

1 Like

Red clay earth? Where could I find it? I am quite sure I don’t have that in my soil.

I think it’s micronutrient, too. I am willing to try anything. I have tried a few things that have not worked.

My JT-02 and Prok in potted have not shown this issue.

@PharmerDrewee
I read more about nickel deficiency. It is interesting and a possible cause. Thank you for your suggestion.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/HS1191.

Unfortunately, the cost of nickel sulfate is high considering it is for one potted tree.

Tippy, this is what I use for all my container trees, Micro’s ! My citrus trees in particular! After bloom I use very little nitro still, you could experience a second fruit drop. Strong nitro is a no no for persimmon.

Bob
But your fertilizer is 5-0-1. I avoid fertilize persimmon with fertilizer that has N higher than P or K.

My is 3-12-6 but it has no nickel as micronutrient.

1 Like

Tippy, I dug the soil up from deeper down under the top layer. Some of that seems to have fixed the problem with all my potted persimmons. Alternatively you could let your tree root through the drain holes to find the nickel on its own.

N5 nitro isn’t going to do much to hurt, micro numbers are more important. Don’t know how big your container is, taproot is gone, remaining roots has to go wide, so a squat container might be more useful, containers for my figs are squat ones. I use squats from AML made by Haviland, very flex ones but very strong. Mine last years, still using the ones I bought years ago. They come by 10 to ship. On sale in the fall I paid about $86.00 for the 15 gl,s.

1 Like

It is a 15 gallon pot. I will consider squat ones.

@PharmerDrewee , will dig up some deep dirt. My pot is on a driveway. Also, I have never seen persimmon roots attempt to come out of drain holes.

2 Likes

Fig roots are the ones that have aggressive roots, not so with persimmon. If I feed my persimmon in a 15 container, I would use a tspoon of micro’s per 1gl of water. Keep an eye after a few days or a week. They probably could use a little more. I personally never measure fertilizer. I use a 32gl garbage container with lid to mix my fertilizer,using a small scoop. Never have a problem with figs or citrus. They are both heavy feeders. Spend too much time measuring with a t spoon or tbs. Not anymore!!

3 Likes

Interesting note on your Persimmon fertilizer @mamuang. Do you use this for persimmons in the ground or in pots?