Rootstock Graft Compatibility

That almond tree is still growing well. There are a couple of sweet cherry cultivars now on top of the Adara interstem. Two out of three sweet cherry grafts grew last year so with luck, perhaps a few fruit samples this summer. I have also grafted Mission almond to the bottom half of the tree.

4 Likes

Korean Sun Pear
Pyrus fauriei ‘Westwood’ as dwarfing rootstock for Pear

Zone: 4
Height: 12’
Spread: 15’
Shape: Compact, rounded.
Foliage: Medium green, fine textured.
Fall Color: Red to purple red.
Flower: White.

Excellent fall color and compact size are key attributes of this selection. Although definitely a dwarf, this cultivar grows faster with better nursery characteristics than the parent species. Much hardier than P. calleryana, it also has a smaller, more rounded and shrub-like head.

https://treesandshrubsonline.org/articles/pyrus/pyrus-fauriei/
http://temperate.theferns.info/plant/Pyrus+fauriei

1 Like

I Maxma14 rootstock compatible with most tart cherries?

THanks
Frank

From what I read, yes, it is, but do not have first-hand experience to confirm.

Reading above it says that pyrus ussuriensis is compatible with all pears. I have read somewhere (can’t find it again) that it may cause pear decline in European pears. Anyone have any input on this? Burnt Ridge apparently isn’t selling BET this year online, so I was thinking of ordering this instead but I am worried that it won’t last with Euro Pear. Thanks for any and all help.

St Lawrence Nursery is using it as a rootstock. Here’s a prior thread:

2 Likes

Thanks for the link and the info :+1: I didn’t find anything in search because I was probably typing ussuriensis instead of Ussurian :man_shrugging::grinning:

Great information and links. Lots of reading to do these next weeks.

here’s my contribution: i learned :wink:
this post is incredible. WAY above me but i know where to turn! amazing growers. so much information – very valuable (and i was just googling to see if Prunus domestica grafted to Prunus salicina, or vice versa). thank you for all your work!

3 Likes

Please report broken or dead links so they can be fixed.

I got some Prunus Besseyi ‘Adaptabil’ rootstocks. Do you think it will accept Prunus Salicina scions.

2 Likes

What about Jaspi. Is it suitable for Japanese plums ?

1 Like

Dolgo as rootsock? Information is scarce. I have plenty in the ground and am interested in any comments regarding how they will work. We have challenging conditions so I stick to Antonovka and will start on my Dolgo.

Yes, 100%.

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2014/0082779.html

Looking at phylogenetic relationships for besseyi (at the phylogeny tree below) we see that salicina and armeniaca & besseyi all derived from the last branching this phylogetic tree shows where the line of 84 going from left to right intersects the entire area inside the green box, however, now we know from the scholarly paper that the triple hybridization is easy/has occurred. I say easy cause I also read that P. besseyi (on other scholarly papers say besseyi readily hybridizes with many plum species). We also see that another branch of this family tree split Prunus mume and Prunus armeniaca into their own branch of phylogeny. These two are very-closely-related. And, we see the exact with: P.simonii & P.salicina. They are very, closely-related.

Phylogeny charts are to help but they don’t determine compatibility, however often I find easy answers looking at them. Not the case this time for besseyi, but, the answers were found.

Dax

1 Like

Jaspi is half Japanese plum (Prunus salicina)

Jaspi = (Prunus salicina x Prunus spinosa).

There is a low margin of incompatibility between Euro plum (P. domestica) (x) (P. salicina) however, most will graft well, long-term. @Rahul1

Prunus Phylogeny - Copy.JPG

Total hypothetical thought I’ve wandered to now…

I’m now seeing the phylogeny of plums from the chart above & more and more it’s becomeing apparent now that Prunus domestica x Prunus salicina is just as possible as any of the species within that chunk of Prunus phylogeny to be bred, ‘easily’. We certainly don’t or won’t know until the attempted hybridization results, but, more and more I’m seeing academia papers publishing crosses within that entire chunk of Prunus-species.

Dax

Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery uses them as rootstock. I don’t know if he could give you more info about how well they would work for you.

1 Like

I’ve got a number of trees grafted to Dolgo seedling rootstocks. They’ve done very well.

I do not think genetic closeness is the problem. P. Domestica is essently a 6x selection of P. cerasifera. I know Russia does a lot of breeding between the different Ploidy levels. But I try to not think about fruit I will never get to eat.
Fruit-pruim (kwekerijdezoetewei.be)

2 Likes

I meant Adaptabil.

There is reported incompatibility of Euro plum (P. domestica) (x) (P. salicina) in 12-13 years. The union swells either from the beginning telling us of the incompatibility occurring, or, it may take many years (12-13) for incompatibility to show up…

With the above paragraph you mean Euro on Japanese or vice versa

Kind of like a ‘Howard’s Miracle’ plum. Supposedly Euro x Japanese I thought.

Never mind though. It was just an off shoot thought after reading about the other species and how that whole glade is seeming to hybridize easily. Sorry, I did all I could yesterday. I don’t know European rootstocks yet. @Jose-Albacete should be able to answer your questions no doubt, Rahul.

Dax