Rootstock Graft Compatibility

Anyway, this excites me, because I’m actually in a position to advance our knowledge a bit, even if in an odd direction.

I’ve been experimenting with grafting onto my landscaping hawthorn.

I only have the first year of data so far:

• Quince, Aromatnaya: 2 grafts, both took and grew well. But I think there’s a risk they’re going to out-grow the stock.
  • Quince, Kuganskaya: Same as above
  • Medlar, unknown variety: 2 grafts, both took, fruited in the first year. I only allowed 1 to finish fruiting.

They all look like they’re waking up this spring, so I’ll continue to monitor for long-term incompatibility.

Here’s what I’ll add this year:

• Apple (Winter Banana, so this should be playing on easy mode)
  • Asian Pear
  • Euro Pear

(If these grafts work long-term, it would probably pay off for me to figure out precisely what kind of hawthorn I have.)

1 Like

try adding shipova and Aronia, they should take.

I say go ahead and start one for each of those.

Has anyone tried grafting onto Prunus serrulata (Japanese Flowering Cherry “Kwanzan”)?
The reason that I ask is that I have quite a few growing in my front yard that look beautiful for about 3 weeks a year. If I could extend the functionality of it by producing edibles that would be wonderful. I noticed that it is listed on the chart, but I have not seen anything else about it in the forum, or online for that matter. I cannot find any instance of it being used as a rootstock.

P. serrulata var. lannesiana is the species name for L-2 rootstock. L-2 is Krymsk 7 (Prunus lannesiana). Your flowering cherry should be compatible with sweet and sour cherries as it is related to Krymsk 7.

Resources:
Taxon: Prunus serrulata var. lannesiana
Sweet Cherry Rootstock Research
KRYMSK 7 (L-2 cv.)
New Fruit Tree Rootstock

The University of Arkansas mentions Prunus serrulata Kwanzane as sometimes being grafted onto Prunus padus (Bird Cherry) but can also be on it’s own roots.

3 Likes

Has anyone tried any almond/cherry combination?

1 Like

I like this webpage from Fowler Nurseries. The page does not say it cannot be done, but it doesn’t offer it as a possible even with all the options that are there.

1 Like

On another page they have specifics on cherries:

I didn’t see any overlap. Good question, though!

2 Likes

From that link, “Adara is graft compatible with many prunus species including European plums, Asian plums, sweet cherries, peaches, nectarines, pluots, apriums, apricots, almonds, and nanking cherries. However, compatibility depends on the specific cultivar.”

Here’s a pretty lengthy compatibility chart by cultivar: Adara, A Plum Rootstock for Cherries and Other Stone ... - HortScience

if you would care, I pieced this post from this one thread: Adara (Puente) Plum - Fruit tree, rootstock & interstem

Dax

7 Likes

That almond tree is still growing well. There are a couple of sweet cherry cultivars now on top of the Adara interstem. Two out of three sweet cherry grafts grew last year so with luck, perhaps a few fruit samples this summer. I have also grafted Mission almond to the bottom half of the tree.

4 Likes

Korean Sun Pear
Pyrus fauriei ‘Westwood’ as dwarfing rootstock for Pear

Zone: 4
Height: 12’
Spread: 15’
Shape: Compact, rounded.
Foliage: Medium green, fine textured.
Fall Color: Red to purple red.
Flower: White.

Excellent fall color and compact size are key attributes of this selection. Although definitely a dwarf, this cultivar grows faster with better nursery characteristics than the parent species. Much hardier than P. calleryana, it also has a smaller, more rounded and shrub-like head.

https://treesandshrubsonline.org/articles/pyrus/pyrus-fauriei/
http://temperate.theferns.info/plant/Pyrus+fauriei

1 Like

I Maxma14 rootstock compatible with most tart cherries?

THanks
Frank

From what I read, yes, it is, but do not have first-hand experience to confirm.

Reading above it says that pyrus ussuriensis is compatible with all pears. I have read somewhere (can’t find it again) that it may cause pear decline in European pears. Anyone have any input on this? Burnt Ridge apparently isn’t selling BET this year online, so I was thinking of ordering this instead but I am worried that it won’t last with Euro Pear. Thanks for any and all help.

St Lawrence Nursery is using it as a rootstock. Here’s a prior thread:

2 Likes

Thanks for the link and the info :+1: I didn’t find anything in search because I was probably typing ussuriensis instead of Ussurian :man_shrugging::grinning:

Great information and links. Lots of reading to do these next weeks.

here’s my contribution: i learned :wink:
this post is incredible. WAY above me but i know where to turn! amazing growers. so much information – very valuable (and i was just googling to see if Prunus domestica grafted to Prunus salicina, or vice versa). thank you for all your work!

3 Likes

Please report broken or dead links so they can be fixed.

I got some Prunus Besseyi ‘Adaptabil’ rootstocks. Do you think it will accept Prunus Salicina scions.

2 Likes