Rootstock Graft Compatibility

What about Jaspi. Is it suitable for Japanese plums ?

1 Like

Dolgo as rootsock? Information is scarce. I have plenty in the ground and am interested in any comments regarding how they will work. We have challenging conditions so I stick to Antonovka and will start on my Dolgo.

Yes, 100%.

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2014/0082779.html

Looking at phylogenetic relationships for besseyi (at the phylogeny tree below) we see that salicina and armeniaca & besseyi all derived from the last branching this phylogetic tree shows where the line of 84 going from left to right intersects the entire area inside the green box, however, now we know from the scholarly paper that the triple hybridization is easy/has occurred. I say easy cause I also read that P. besseyi (on other scholarly papers say besseyi readily hybridizes with many plum species). We also see that another branch of this family tree split Prunus mume and Prunus armeniaca into their own branch of phylogeny. These two are very-closely-related. And, we see the exact with: P.simonii & P.salicina. They are very, closely-related.

Phylogeny charts are to help but they don’t determine compatibility, however often I find easy answers looking at them. Not the case this time for besseyi, but, the answers were found.

Dax

1 Like

Jaspi is half Japanese plum (Prunus salicina)

Jaspi = (Prunus salicina x Prunus spinosa).

There is a low margin of incompatibility between Euro plum (P. domestica) (x) (P. salicina) however, most will graft well, long-term. @Rahul1

Prunus Phylogeny - Copy.JPG

Total hypothetical thought I’ve wandered to now…

I’m now seeing the phylogeny of plums from the chart above & more and more it’s becomeing apparent now that Prunus domestica x Prunus salicina is just as possible as any of the species within that chunk of Prunus phylogeny to be bred, ‘easily’. We certainly don’t or won’t know until the attempted hybridization results, but, more and more I’m seeing academia papers publishing crosses within that entire chunk of Prunus-species.

Dax

Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery uses them as rootstock. I don’t know if he could give you more info about how well they would work for you.

1 Like

I’ve got a number of trees grafted to Dolgo seedling rootstocks. They’ve done very well.

I do not think genetic closeness is the problem. P. Domestica is essently a 6x selection of P. cerasifera. I know Russia does a lot of breeding between the different Ploidy levels. But I try to not think about fruit I will never get to eat.
Fruit-pruim (kwekerijdezoetewei.be)

2 Likes

I meant Adaptabil.

There is reported incompatibility of Euro plum (P. domestica) (x) (P. salicina) in 12-13 years. The union swells either from the beginning telling us of the incompatibility occurring, or, it may take many years (12-13) for incompatibility to show up…

With the above paragraph you mean Euro on Japanese or vice versa

Kind of like a ‘Howard’s Miracle’ plum. Supposedly Euro x Japanese I thought.

Never mind though. It was just an off shoot thought after reading about the other species and how that whole glade is seeming to hybridize easily. Sorry, I did all I could yesterday. I don’t know European rootstocks yet. @Jose-Albacete should be able to answer your questions no doubt, Rahul.

Dax

@lordkiwi Thanks for that. I stumbled around reading some of that stuff. It’s kind of strange that Prunus ussuriensis isn’t yet classified as a species even though it exists.

1 Like

Bird cherry (prunus padus) and Adara (prunus cerasifera) are compatible.

I found this topic very helpful. After years i can share my results.
Sweet cherry was grafted on Adara. Voles damaged roots of Adara so i grafted Adara to Bird cherry. Graft is very ugly, because of hard wood. I think i perform cleft grafting. Tape will be removed next spring.
Some photos…!

2 Likes

1 Like

I am really confused trying to read on phone. I am ordering Myrobalan 29C for apricot root, can take my plum as well, or I can easily get Marianna 26-24. What is a decent peach? And US native persimmon can take Asian persimmons, or do I keep looking?

1 Like

As far as I know, all Asian persimmons can be grafted to American persimmon rootstock. Depending on your hardiness zone, you may want to source northern grown Americans to improve cold hardiness They have a different amount of chromosomes than southern grown Americans.

1 Like

@franc1969 @disc4tw

Your question is difficult to answer so I’m going to answer it as best as I can. There are many options Rootstocks for Cherry | WSU Tree Fruit | Washington State University. I’m using Prunus cerasifera aka Myrobalan under sour cherry and there is a reason I chose it and that is versatility. I’m suspecting you or whoever your getting it from thought this out very well. By the way I grafted sweet cherry to the same tree without an interstem. Yes you can graft apricot and peach among other things to it as well but I’m going to use the documentation others have done as my experience ends with grafting cherries to it. Plums are a given but some work better than others. Before you ask yes people graft almonds , nectarines etc. to it as well but you need an interstem called Adara Adara (Puente) Plum - Fruit tree, rootstock & interstem. This is a great article Goodbye plum, hello cherry | Good Fruit Grower . See this post https://growingfruit.org/uploads/short-url/8kDDicAIu75YIJ9c0AhAOoKTYwU.pdfAdara A Plum Rootstock for Cherriesand Other Stone Fruit Species.pdf (19.9 KB)

The documentation and articles will help more! Typically Asian persimmons use lotus rootstock but I can’t say why as I have seen hybrid kaki/American scion used with American persimmin rootstock many times. In my area true kaki will not survive the winter let alone years of producing so I will let someone in a warmer climate discuss kaki persimmon rootstocks further. They know over time how they do on american persimmon much better than I would. Since your zone is similar to mine I suspect your looking for cold hardy hybrid kaki/ American persimmons and as mentioned American rootstock works fine. @39thparallel has many of these hybrids on his farm on american that have been there for years.

2 Likes

Lotus is the other mention that I saw, besides American persimmon. Unfortunately everyone I saw seems to be out of Lotus, but I did find American. From what I read it might not be as long lived, but it will get me there. I might graft again later.Thank you on the Adara- I’ve seen that and am keeping in mind if I do cherries. I have a list for not this year- Nanking and Romance series, maybe Montmorency. I can’t do everything - I have to be very stingy with buying anyway, and I just lost my water heater tonight. I knew it was on it’s way, but still.

1 Like

@franc1969

When someone mentions that rootstock I suspect they are doing several types of fruit on the same tree.

1 Like

I believe there’s multiple varieties going under the name “Hollywood.” Is yours the red-leafed purple plum, Joe?

@franc1969

If you should need cuttings to root off of lotus just let me know. Lotus is not cold hardy enough typically to survive zone 6a. I got die back for years before my trees adapted.

1 Like

Another question - I thought that cherries didn’t like other Prunus? Does it actually work on Manchurian apricot? I was looking for sour cherry rootstock and found that Rootstocks for fruit trees seedling and seed varieties from Rich Farm Garden says
" Prunus armeniaca ‘Mandshurica’ (Manchurian Apricot) CVI - Very hardy seedling variety grown from Manchurian seed stock, which is known for its dependability. Used for sweet and sour cherries. Hardy to -30F (-34.4C)"
I’ll go with Mazzard as I expected, but if I can do this, maybe I could use instead. Would it be shorter?

1 Like