Rootstock Graft Compatibility

Another question - I thought that cherries didn’t like other Prunus? Does it actually work on Manchurian apricot? I was looking for sour cherry rootstock and found that Rootstocks for fruit trees seedling and seed varieties from Rich Farm Garden says
" Prunus armeniaca ‘Mandshurica’ (Manchurian Apricot) CVI - Very hardy seedling variety grown from Manchurian seed stock, which is known for its dependability. Used for sweet and sour cherries. Hardy to -30F (-34.4C)"
I’ll go with Mazzard as I expected, but if I can do this, maybe I could use instead. Would it be shorter?

1 Like

Adara seems to be an exception to the incompatibility between plums and cherry’s

3 Likes

@lordkiwi

Exactly adara is the key to everything if you want a fruit cocktail tree in my opinion. Again I’m sticking to pears for the most part but I do grow some other things like Mahaleb. Sometimes I grow quite a bit more.

1 Like

It seems that cherries are compatible with prunus padus in general.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282439057_Effect_of_rootstock_on_fruit_quality_of_two_sweet_cherry_cultivars

1 Like

Do you know if Pear can be grafted to flowering quince?

certain varieties / species of flowering quince can be grafted to certain varieties / species of pear . This thread might be of help What pears are quince compatible?

2 Likes

I assume all persimmon hybrids are on Virginiana rootstock, unless they’re grown from cuttings, which is supposed to be easy with persimmon, I thought.

Flowering quince is Japanese quince… Chaenomeles japonica.

The pear rootstock and good fruiting type is Cydonia oblonga.

I think you mixed things up.

A Clara Frijs interstem would be a good solution, Clapp’s Favorite is also a very compatible variety.

1 Like

Well, if you’ve corrected that idea you’re in good shape.

1 Like

Ya Li is a different species from European or Asian pears, maybe a subspecies or hybrid of Asian pear, that’s probably why. Thanks for the info.

I’m going to try Shipova on Callery.
Shipova can get huge!

1 Like

Are the numbers just for cataloguing or are they percentages of something?
I can’t follow the chart.

That is a genomics chart which used a pseudo-clustering method that horticulturists are fond of. The numbers are measures of dissimilarity. The entire chart should be ignored.

For details, see section 1.8 in

1 Like

Yes, I’ve done it before.
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

@Trav

Here you go this will explain it Pyrus bretschneideri an interspecific hybrid of Pyrus pyrifolia x Pyrus ussuriensis . They graft fine long term to callery, BET, harbin etc. Have tried it with ya li.

2 Likes

Found this recently at International Society for Horticultural Science regarding apricot dwarfing:
Abstract:
Apricot trees can be dwarfed by budding them on Prunus tomentosa or Prunus Besseyi, but the bud take on P. tomentosa is often poor and the P. Besseyi rootstock suckers freely.

We have had promising results by budding peach on P. tomentosa and the following year budding the peach with apricot. Several cultivars of apricot are budded on each peach whip to ensure cross pollination. These trees are now three years old and less than a meter tall. They blossomed adundantly this spring and should produce fruit this summer.

1 Like

That is the abstract for a conference presentation made in 1968 towards the end of K. Sax’s career. There is no formal paper, but they did publish other works going back at least to 1923.

2 Likes

I wonder if they would take more successfully on the hybrid between besseyi and tomentosa - incorrectly listed as “besseyi nigra” by most nurseries?

They have not harvested the fruits yet, so far only the blossom. One of my apricots that was grafted on plum, blooms every year but has never set any fruit.

1 Like

I have a plan this year to try to heat callus Redhaven peach scion to Krymsl-1 scion. It is my hope that I can graft the two to Krymsk-1 that have been in the ground for two years. It is my hope that the Krymsk-1 self-graft will heal before the peach scion wakes up.
I have read from more than one source that Redhaven is compatible with Krymsk-1 and a lot of other stone fruits. I will also try the same with a Contender peach I have on order.
I am hoping to test peach interstem as a method of expanding compatibility to other stone fruits. I am also curious to see if Adara will work as an interstem to grow cherries on Krymsk-1.

3 Likes

I’m trying to make sure I understand. Are you proposing to join two scions together with heat callous before then grafting the combination to Krymsk-1?

Because its difficult to get peach to callous properly, you will take special care to do that first, then when grafted to the rootstock it will be Krymsk-1 to Krymsk-1 instead of peach to Krymsk-1 in the field?

1 Like