Rosseyanka persimmon late to wake up

Does anyone have any experience with Rosseyanka being late to leaf out? I planted it June of last year, so this was it’s first winter, but all of my other persimmons are leafing out now. I don’t see any evidence that Rosseyanka is ready to wake up. The rootstock is waking up, as I had to remove some buds from it. Anyone else with similar experience with this one?

Mine is waking up here in the Boston area. It gets going about the same time as my american persimmons, which have all woken up. My true kakis are a bit later.

Yeah, that worries me a bit. Prok, Nikita’s Gift, Saijo, and Tam Kam have all woken up. Might be time for a scratch test. This is not a small tree…a little over 4 ft tall.

1 Like

My Nikita’s Gift hasn’t even swollen its buds yet.

Scott (in zone 6 Michigan)

Still might not be too late. Cliff would recommend watering with a can of beer mixed in a gallon or two of water.

Scratch test can help diagnose, but realize that the stem could be green without the buds ever swelling and opening. Eventually, the stem will no longer be green, and will be dry. This means that the graft failed. However, the rootstock might still be alive.

If the buds are still “alive”, rub off any rootstock growth. This will hopefully encourage growth to the grafted section.

Mine is awake. It’s a little later than my other non persimmon trees, but earlier than my potted persimmons. Odd.

She never woke up. Really strange with such a mild winter. I was really looking forward to that variety, so will be looking for scions…the rootstock has shoots about 2 feet tall now.

1 Like

That’s too bad. What is the rootstock? Virginiana or lotus?

1 Like

On Virginiana, purchased last year from
Edible Landscaping. It was over 4 feet tall after the growing season last year. Not sure what happened, but I want to try again!

1 Like

Did you get a replacement tree from EL? If yes then Winter protected for one season to get the bark thicker.

Tony

1 Like

I didn’t get a replacement tree. Their return policy is only good for 90 days and does not cover winter kill. I planted the tree last June and it seemed fine going into dormancy. I have a great root stock to graft to now and will be looking for Rosseyanka scions for next year. Thanks for the idea to protect it for one season… I didn’t think to do that on a tree rated for zone 5, but I’m willing to do what I can to get them going!

3 Likes

Maybe I should ask you persimmon experts out there… would you recommend a different cultivar instead of Rosseyanka? I already have in ground Prok, Saijo, Nikita’s Gift, Ichi and Tam Kam.

1 Like

Get a JT-02 from England’s Orchard and Nursery. It’s awesome.

2 Likes

Oh iam trying to get this one next year along with NB-21! (Subtropy CZ)

2 Likes

Are scions available of JT-02 or do I have to buy a tree? NB-21 sounds really good too!

1 Like

Cliff sells scion of his stock as well.

2 Likes

JT-02 and Rossyanka bark grafted last year on the 7 years old Nikita"s Gift grew over 7 feet tall this Spring.

Tony

2 Likes

Great! I’ll try to acquire some scion wood for JT-02 to graft to that rootstock. What do you like about it?

1 Like

Looks awesome,Tony. Now I’m wondering if I could fit two varieties on that rootstock :relaxed:.

1 Like