Rubber Splicing Tape & Parafilms

The little croissant Templex is now fused, now I know how this works.
But all of my Parafilm grafts for the jujube seem to take. Parafilm is much cheaper than buddy tape.

1 Like

True, Amazon’s search engine requires one to pay attention to titles and beware of knockoffs.

It appears that A.M. Leonard has the real deal but compared to OGW it is less than 1/2 the amount of strips for almost twice the cost.

1 Like

I certainly have no idea if the link to the OGW Buddy tape is the cheapest option out there, I just used it as an example. I wouldn’t doubt you can find it much cheaper somewhere other than OGW. The last time I searched for the stuff I couldn’t find it at a price that made me willing to switch from parafilm

When I was shopping around last week for Parafilm, I found the brand name product was far more expensive than the knockoffs when comparing widths and lengths.

I also noticed today that some advertisers use both “parafilm” and “buddy tape” in their product listing.

1 Like

The One Green World link above is the type I’m referring to. And their endorsement echos mine. Or mine echo theirs.

1 Like

I cut the Templex tape in half and stretch it before I wrap my Sumo scion. It’s a bit better looking, not as bulky.

1 Like

Maybe it was explained somewhere on this thread , but why do you put the parafilm all over the scion

I don’t know really why either. But I noticed with my fig cuttings that I wrap in Parafilm and potting them, they are budding out, the ones with terminal buds are not. So there must be some benefit.

@MikeC … it keeps them from drying out… retains the moisture that is in the scion.

4 Likes

Thank you!

For fast-callusing stuff like pears/apples… parafilm may be ‘overkill’, but for slower-callusing things, like nut trees(pecans, hickories, walnuts), I think you definitely need to provide some sort of protection against scion dessication - I wrap scion and graft union, in their entirety, with Parafilm. Some folks put a plastic bag over the whole shooting match, but may also need a ‘shade’ of sorts, fashioned out of aluminum foil or a paper bag over the entire thing.

1 Like

Agree with @Lucky_P that pear and apples do not need to be wrap in parafilm.

To me, wrapping peaches, nectarines is helpful to prevent desiccation.

However, I usually receive scionwood in Jan-Feb and won’t be able to graft until April. I have found that pre-wrap scionwood in stretched parafilm helps keep my scionwood fresh for a long time (pre-wrapping scion, putting it in a ziplock bag and storing in a fridge).

Credit of a pre-wrapping method goes to @marknmt whose advice I followed.

Good quality parafilm can be stretched very well. Cheap stuff cracks like mad and is a waste of money. You do get what you pay for.

Here’s how I stretched my parafilm M. I even had leftover parafilm after wrapping the scion.

7 Likes

Ebay pricing is reasonable. I’m considering buying a bigger pack if I find enough interest with trading partners to make it worthwhile.

1 Like

I bought the 3M Temflex Rubber Splicing Tape 2155 and used it last year. I don’t like it. It is too thick and very difficult to remove. Great for electrical work but not grafting.
Edit: I would use it for a bark graft on 1 inch or larger trunk since it would not be too difficult to cut off with a sharp knife or box cutter and it is strong.

2 Likes

@danzeb
I like the 3M 2242 that @Stan recommends as a layer on top of parafilm.

2 Likes

I feel the same way about 2155.A fruit grower and electrician,sent me some,what is probably silicone tape.
It’s just about perfect,stretches like a rubber band,with no need to tie off,because of self adhering.Then,when time to remove,the stuff practically unfurls on its own.

2 Likes

Out of habit, more than anything else, I wrap everything in Parafilm - even apples/pears… though I don’t think that they need it in 99.9% of cases.

I have used the rubberized splicing tape (I don’t recall what #) on pecan/hickory grafts on large (4-6 inch) pecan rootstocks, but have found that duct tape works just about as well, and is, perhaps, even easier to work with in that application.

1 Like

@Bradybb I’ve used the silicone tape. Really like it. It is more expensive.

1 Like

Currently I am using a medical version of buddy tape that is about 1.25" wide. You haveto peel it but it works great. Came as a big roll out of an estate. I am not please with the 3M linerless tape as it seems to unravel in rain. Should have actual parafilm coming in soon.
The tree are activating now and scion buds are swelling.

1 Like