Rubber Splicing Tape & Parafilms

This one is also very suitable for grafting purposes. Much thinner then the 3M one and has no foil to peel off. I usually halve the tape lengthwise.

2 Likes

This is what I use. It is kinda rubber, can be stretched , stick to itself, and no need to take it off after a season. The growth of the scion wood will split it and it eventually falls off. It is on the thick side but it doesnā€™t bother me once I get used to it.

1 Like

I also use temflex. It stabilizes grafts well. I prestretch it a bit before wrapping. My most vigorous grafts will gradually split the tape but I like to take a blade and split it down one side for most. I have found that in addition to girdling and possibly stunting the new graft, the graft union can sometimes grow in bizarre ways to compensate.

Rubber bands can work well but unless they are silicone they break down and crack in the sun before the graft has calloused. I got tired of going around and rewrapping the grafts. I donā€™t have much experience with the wider rubbers.

1 Like

I do the same. I really helps. I did a test recently where once the wrapped fig cuttings were rooted I removed the film on some and left it on others, and the ones with the film still on were much healthier and less fussy. So even when they have roots and can get their own water, that extra protection from drying helps.

2 Likes

The trick is cutting in thirds and stretching.

3 Likes

Because of itā€™s thickness it takes extra force to stretch. Not worth the trouble for me unless Iā€™m doing very thick grafts.

1 Like

Itā€™s easy to do (indoors, room temperature) if cut in thirds, itā€™s very similar to budding stripes except it sticks to itself which I find preferable. Try out the thirds method and see what you think if you havenā€™t yet!

1 Like

For me 2155 is too thick. Also itā€™s adhesive is very strong so it sticks tightly to the scion making it difficult to remove. Try silicone tape. It stretches nicely and It doesnā€™t stick to the wood so easier to remove.

Any recommendations on brand/model?

I wish I know the brands. I was given several sizes and colors (gray, orange, black) in a trade and they all worked but there was differences in thickness. I just started with the last spool which is 1.5 inch black. Iā€™ll cut the pieces in half.
I prefer the lighter color for hot sunning weather but maybe it doesnā€™t make a difference. Ebay has good prices and choices.

I use Temflex 2155 but I nearly always split it lengthwise in at least half but sometimes thirds or quarters if Iā€™ve got a tiny graft. I find it stretches a lotā€”to about rubber band width. I only use about a 2ā€ piece of it and it stretches to about 6ā€ or more. Most of the time I completely cover the graft and sometimes I spiral it depending on support needed. I nearly always put it over parafilm that Iā€™ve used to seal the graft but if I really need to cinch up some joints Iā€™ll use it first and cover with parafilm. If the graft grows it splits it off on its own but occasionally Iā€™ll split it vertically with a scalpel months later on a laggard graft. I used an off brand once that did not degrade as easily and I had to slit the tape manually on most of my plants. I did some grafting last weekend and it was cold for hereā€”high 40ā€™s with a gusting wind. The Temflex did not stretch as well for me as it usually does so some of you in the colder climates may not get the same experience as I do here. Iā€™m really happy with it as a stabilizer though. When you stretch it well and wrap the joint it isnā€™t very thickā€”about rubber band thickness. It reminds me of using a rubber band but then it sticks to itself and is very easy to work with even with my arthritic hands.

I halve my tape too

That is a self-fusing version of the tape, that I believe I read at one point is intended as the second layer in a 2-layer system. May work just fine, but I think comes at a much higher price. For posterity, here is a chart that shows elongation and breaking strength of the tapes.

2 Likes

I make several hundred pawpaw and nut grafts each year for my commercial nursery. This year after attending the Ohio Nut Growers meeting and watching a friend who is a real pro, I decided to make some changes. First I bought a Zenport grafting tool which I tried out for the first time today. Stand by for results. I also am experimenting with Parafillm M which is new to meā€“for years I have used the 1" Parafilm tape. The roll of 2" Parafilm M I bought on Amazon seems much less stretchy than the roll I tried at the meeting. Maybe itā€™s just the outer wraps which seem very stiff. I know that the tape can get stiff with age and mishandling. Next Iā€™ll experiment with the 2155 at a first wrap/stabilizer on the graft in place of the generic rubber bands I always use. Always fun to try new things. Thanks for all the comments here.

1 Like

The Zenport type tool has given mixed results here on apples. The ā€œVā€ was not so good. Most of the failed grafts were on it. I think because it is hard to keep the green aligned.

However the ā€œQā€ blade is excellent. Even using it on undersized scions; it allows you to make a good bottom notch to fit tightly in the groove. And you can easily lock to cambium together on one side. And really get the tape sealed tight around it.

1 Like

Good info and the ā€œQā€ blade. All my ā€œVā€ grafts did not take. I will try the ā€œQā€ one instead next time.