RubyRush Apple (nj150)?

Adams County Nursery seems to be selling a new variety- RubyRush. It is listed as a cross between GoldRush and Enterprise. The apple is described as "juicy and aromatic with a desirable crisp texture "and is meant to have resistance or tolerance to scab, CAR and fire blight. They have a youtube video that puts its harvest window in late Sept to early Oct and says it can keep some months in cold storage. It is set to be available in 2022. Other than this l have found nothing on the web, not even a patent. Anyone have any info on this one? Or do I have to break lock down and go stalking my local Rutgers plant biologists? (Haha). Much obliged. - Pete

1 Like

I say hunt em down and make em work :joy:
Sounds like a good Apple if it inherits goldrush in eating and enterprise in resistance

1 Like

Sounds interesting…but maybe you should use an existing Gold Rush or Enterprise, and get some pollen and pretend you’re a bee…and do the deed. And see if you can grow out some seedlings of the two that would equal “RubyRush”? If you have the space and time for that sort of endeavor. Graft the little seedlings to B9 or G41 and you’d get results in 3 years.

1 Like

good read about the PRI breeding program Breeding Apples for Scab Resistance 1945-1990

2 Likes

The same to parents can produce a nearly infinite array of possible offspring.

I assume if this is the output of a breeding program they planted hundreds of trees and selected what they thought was the best only after some testing.

2 Likes

Thanks. I don’t know how much interest or time or space you have…so I was just playing the other viewpoint in the discussion.

But, yes, like a family of 17 kids (I had a date with a gal in such a family 40 years ago), they all look different, but usually you see enough features that you can guess they are “related” somehow.

Ditto with apples. If they planted 1000 seeds and got “RubyRush”, you might plant 1000 seeds and get one that actually is better! (And 900 to 1000 that aren’t!)

1 Like

@z0r That was a cool summary of decades of all the PRI breeding work. They seem to have gotten a lot of mileage out of the malus floribunda genetics. I had not realized how many cultivars came from the program. @BlueBerry An apple breeding project sounds fun :slight_smile: I just need more square footage of dirt, hours in the day, and if the time scale of the PRI efforts is any indication, some fewer years to my age.(hehe). It does however make me wonder if they could use and unpaid, and largely unskilled intern…

1 Like

Peaceful Heritage Nursery Ky now also sells RubyRush trees but not scions.

Does PRI prohibit selling scions to the public from new releases?

Would like a stick or two- the Enterprise genes might make it resist Marssonina Leaf Blotch that hammered my Goldrush this year.

3 Likes

nj 150 (the apple variety sold under the marketing brand “rubyrush”) is patented in the us until 2040 - USPP33546P2 - Apple tree named NJ150 - Google Patents

btw I think it’s a rutgers-only variety not PRI but I can’t find release info from the breeder so I’m going on the name being “NJ…” instead of “co-op…”

public breeding programs these days receive less and less public funding than they used to so they almost always patent their releases and partner with industry to sell them with royalties going to support the public breeding program. I don’t know what their industry agreement is but there’s typically no way to get scions. from the perspective of rutgers they wouldn’t care as long as you could pay the $1-2. from the perspective of retail nurseries like ACN they’d lose a lot more than $1-2 by selling a scion instead of a tree so they’ll never do a scion program until the patent expires.

3 Likes

Thanks much for the heads up…

Thanks. So we wait. Enterprise x Goldrush sounds to me like it might produce some fabulous results. Bulletproof x Great Taste & Texture.

1 Like

Yeah. I guess that is exactly right. "and so we wait… " There is not a lot of really yummy and bulletproof out there. Let’s see how this one does.

Have you taken a look at any of Skillcult’s videos on YouTube? He’s been breeding apples for a bit, now selling scions of some of his first crosses.
And as he says, your odds of getting a good apple are better than most sources of information make it sound. Try it, just on one tree if time is limited.

1 Like