Salmonberry

I’ve mentioned this earlier.
I have a superior selection of
Rubus Spectabilis in my backyard
It’s a good candidate for breeding
I think.
They root very easily from cuttings
Like willow.
I just spent an hour trimming the Ivy away from it.
Growing in a bank full of Ivy.

2 Likes

the one i got from rolling river had a few flowers last summer but didnt set fruit, cut back over a doz. shoots. some 8ft. from the plant. at least i know its z4 hardy so far. i might have a spot in my patch if you want to share a few shoots in the spring. be cool to see if it makes it here.

1 Like

Cuttings are easy.
No charge for sharing
They root super good.
but
Postage is at least $5-6.

David

1 Like

do you have pay pal? when you cut them let me know. ill send you a little extra for your effort. :wink:

No
I don’t do PayPal
I think a $5 money order is good for the postage.

1 Like

I can cut them any time.

2 Likes

sure. when do they usually leaf out for you? maybe like a month before would be good? i have to store them until at least early may before i can put them out so the later cutting, the better. t.y Dave.

Pretty darn early.
I’d get the cuttings by early February.

ok. ill go mon. and get the money order. pm me your address. just send them in feb. you interested in any currant or other raspberry cuttings. ill pm you what i got.

I’ll send you the Salmonberry cuttings soon.
Just addressed the envelope . I think it’s a very good one.

1 Like

ok . ill take the cuttings today and send them tomorrow. thanks.

1 Like

I’ve noticed you are very interested in Breeding a hybrid with Rubus spectabilis Salmonberry. I just read a new paper that shows that the closest raspberry species to Rubus spectabilis genetically is the native Hawaiian raspberry, Rubus hawaiensis.

My thinking is that these two species should cross easily (and possibly easier than others). Might be worth getting a cutting from USDA ARS GRIN in Oregon to attempt! I’ll be very interested if anyone tries this cross!

National Clonal Germplasm Repository: Corvallis, OR

ORIGINAL RESEARCH
published: 20 December 2019
doi: 10.3389/fpls.2019.01615

Target Capture Sequencing Unravels Rubus Evolution
Katherine A. Carter 1 , Aaron Liston

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/338085121_Target_Capture_Sequencing_Unravels_Rubus_Evolution

What makes this selection good? I like to browse on lots of things, but salmonberries here are very low on my list. In fact, I’d probably only choose to eat them to satisfy curiosity, or for survival/hunger.

The ones here are bland with a disagreeably bitter aftertaste. I think they rank last of all aggregate berries I’ve ever tried, to my taste.

1 Like

They come in either red or orange fruit.
My experience is the Orange are better.
But rarely do I find any real good tasting ones.
The one in my back yard is pretty good
For a Salmonberry.

Yeah, we have orange and red, often the red can be pretty dark. Part of me poo pooing them is half hoping that somebody will change my mind. :slight_smile: We have Himalayan and native trailing blackberries all over the place.

Also wild in the yard are Oregon Grape, Salal, black raspberries, thimbleberry, wild strawberries, red huckleberries, red elderberries, rose hips, cascara, wild cherry and probably some other things I’m forgetting.

Thimbleberries taste good, and are entertaining the way they melt in your mouth like cotton candy. But I don’t know how anybody collects enough to make a batch of jam. They weigh nothing.

3 Likes

Yes
The Thimble berries are intense, but tiny.
I think our native trailing blackberry is the best. Ollalie is a hybrid of it. Would like to get one.
I have some Himalayan x Evergreen blackberry hybrids that look good.

2 Likes

I had always nibbled on thimbleberries since the 1970s whenever I encountered them. In the late 1990s I finally made an effort to get a quantity. Found an extensive spread of them outside Sweet Home, Oregon near old logging roads. It took several hours and a half-mile of walking (2 people, so double the man-hours and distance) to gather about 2 quarts of the berries. That resulted in the best homemade jelly I have ever tasted. Like a combination of cranberry sauce and honey. I think we ended up with five half-pint jars.

3 Likes

So, any plans to hybridize your orange salmonberry with Rubus hawaiensis?

1 Like

I don’t think so.
May try Korean Wineberry

Ok. I guess that’s your choice. Just seems odd since you specifically asked what was the most genetically compatible.

Regardless, i hope you are successful and come up with something interesting.

1 Like