Scott's apple variety experiences through 2018

Scott,

What is the problem with water core? I usually finds apples with water core very tasty…

2 Likes

I agree- and in Japan, I think, it’s a prized quality.

In some varieties I like it, but in some it causes the fruits to lose flavor or not last very long at all. Golden Nugget usually watercores for me but its not a problem for the apples.

1 Like

Thanks for a great report!
Dan Vorhis, Freeland (Whidbey Island), WA, USA

The Japanese usually pay more for the water core apples.

I grow Tolman sweet and when it watercores it tastes like a raw potato.
Hudson’s Golden Gem is much better when water cored. I like cox better also with a little water core.

2 Likes

I’ve got a Hudson’s in the ground from last years planting. It bloomed this year but I did not let it fruit out. I hope to get some fruit next year. It looks like a really neat looking apple to grow.

It is a real “Gem” The first year I got fruit wasn’t very good. The fruit tasted like any other golden delicious.
This year, I got a good crop and now this variety has shot up my favorite list. This is probably the most pear like apple I have tasted other than Razor Russet. It is also a little Asian pear like without the nutty skin.
I have a lot left and they are doing well in storage

1 Like

I got my first decent crop of HGG this year, and they’re really good in this climate (northern CA coast). I’m just starting to pick them now.

1 Like

I tried Enterprise from a local orchard, you’re right flavor was disappointing, skin thickness wasn’t. That apple has really thick skin.

Have you or any one else tried the HC crosses that Stark’s have? I have them but are only in their first year.

Interesting experiences!! Especially with my kansas late spring frost issues I like the idea of bulletproof apples and what you say about Rambour d 'Hiver and other dependable cultivars! If you would be interesting in anything in my profile list for scion trade let me know. I am currently establishing apples and plan to graft over my delicious trees.

Hi Paul, put a have/want list in the scion exchange category this winter and you will find many people to trade with here. I don’t do a lot of trades but if nobody else has it I should be able to trade with you.

1 Like

Thanks for the report. Very helpful for me down here in Midlothian, VA just outside of Richmond, VA. Lots of heat and humidity here in the summer. Interesting that Jonathan didn’t make your top lists. This year my espaliered Red Jonathan produced for the first time. Good no rot/disease apples.

There is randomness in the data above, my Jonathan I didn’t have for too many years before I had to remove it - it was crowding out something else and I had a vague plan to re-add it elsewhere but never did. One reason why I didn’t put it back was its parent Spitzenburg is considered better flavor by most people and its been really good for me as well. Spitz isn’t on the list because it was in a shady spot and never fruited enough, but its now in a great spot so in a year or two I will be tasting that one again. If Spitz proves problematic I might put back Jonathan. Or one of its famous children like Melrose. Oh I also had another similar apple, King David, and that may in fact have been the main reason why I didn’t add Jonathan back. Unfortunately King David blighted horribly, so now the only Jonathan type I have left is Spitz.

1 Like

It is the first year bearing for the Jonathan so even though it was good this year I will have to wait and see if it is consistent. I was hoping to try King David in the future. Do you think the blight is an inherent problem with King David?

I really like the list. Awesome to hear reports about so many varieties!

1 Like

Thats a good question, its come up here before. It seems the opinions are mixed, some people have problems and some don’t. My tree was fine for five or more years but then it started to get lots of blight every year.

Great read, sorry about your need to remove so many of your trees. I to am going down the road of Heirloom European Apples. I hope my microclimate ( zone 4b ) is more suitable for them.

2 Likes

Yes, if you are in 4b there should not be so many rot problems. Also some varieties lose flavor in the heat here, and it should not be as bad there. English apples like Ribston Pippin, Egremont Russet, and Cox should be very nice there.

I wish I could grow them here, but fortunately there are so many apples out there that if you look around you can find some similar apple which does work in more challenging climates. For example Rubinette instead of Cox.