Scotts Stone Fruit Experiences Through 2022

My Carmen Jewel gets brown rot if not sprayed.

I think this is a good idea as well. My cherry trees have only been in the ground about a year. They all flowered this spring, but because of poor weather there was almost no pollinator activity. Out of over a dozen cherry trees the only sweet cherries with fruit were 3 self pollinating varieties. I think I will graft on more self pollinating varieties as poor spring weather seems common in my parts of late. The Sweethart cherry tree impressed me with its fruit set at such a young age. I am letting them fruit, as I want stunted small form stone fruit trees no higher than 7’ against my fence.

yep, and thinks for confirming this fact, i should have known this but didn’t for 14 years i thought it was the 5b climate that killed all the buds, will Moorpark pollinate sugar pearls?

1 Like

I assume it will, but cannot confirm.

Have you grown Contender peach? A 2022 article in Phytopathology Research by Chinese said " No commercially viable cultivars are resistant to brown rot, scab, anthracnose, or gummosis. Some cultivars, such as Contender and Dahongpao, are less susceptible than others to Monilinia spp. infections".

I planted Contender as pre-release numbered selection and grew it for 12 years or so. I didn’t pay attention to its susceptibility to brown rot as it got a full spray program as part of my commercial orchard. It was a pain to thin as it was loaded every year unless a hard freeze took everything out.

2 Likes

I didn’t grow Contender; maybe someone else has. I have heard other peaches are less susceptible in the past though and in my experience they were not that different. In my view the only categories are susceptible, highly susceptible, and extremely susceptible.

2 Likes

That’s very true. Although, there does seem to be a correlation between the amount of rain and the amount of rot pressure. I’m currently experimenting with some varieties that ripen in the periods of the least amount of rain for my area (yearly averages). We will see if my theory is worthwhile.

1 Like

It’s highly correlated with rain. I’ve had basically no rot this year due to the dry conditions. I think maybe two of thousands of cherries were rotted and usually I have a couple percent rotting.

Anybody ever grow Caldesi nectarine? Can’t find much about it. Was trying to find out what the parents were.

These are my peach branches from my David Wilson multi bud. Is this normal?

1 Like

It looks a bit beat up but it should be OK.

1 Like

I love reading things like this and I base decisions on what trees to buy on other real peoples experiences. I cannot find most of the fruit to try locally first, so I depend on other people input.

Thank you so much for putting all that time and effort into helping other people.

7 Likes

Does the Orangered have any sour in it? I have several varieties and all are sweet and boring. Hoping my latest recruits (tomcot & CWB) are better.

1 Like

Tomcot has lots of sour. Orangered has some and CWB has less.

1 Like

I’ve had similar lighter color seams like that directly below graft unions. On my plum grafts on apricot there seems to be a difference in vigor that causes it.

1 Like