Searching for a mystery plum

It may need time to adapt to your area, if it can? Here some low chill stuff will not work where others will. I have no clue as to why? Here everything blooms at once within a week, with some exceptions. My cherries seem to bloom later but plums and peaches all bloom together.
Maybe as time goes on I will see more differences, although it has been 7 years now.

Great, now there another plum on my list

Scott

1 Like

I probably can harvest a couple pieces of scion to what Dan sent me.

Do you think Hollywood would hold up to -32F? My plum harvests have been pretty meager here near St. Paul.

I don’t have a well researched answer for that question. I 'd guess the odds are not favorable. Unless you are just growing it for ornamental value, if the cold doesn’t kill the tree outright, the early bloom will be problematic for fruit set. Euro plums would be a better bet for fruit production.

I doubt that much if any plum varieties would produce that cold, if any did it would not only need to be more cold hardy than most plums, it would also need to flower late enough, be able to produce fruit late enough, also fruit would need to ripen pretty fast, due to the early winter.

You are talking about a zone 3b climate. I think that you’d need a greenhouse.

I’d go with the greenhouse recommendation as well. Opens up a lot of possibilities.

1 Like

I love the pictures of your Hollywood plum, I am hoping my tree is a Hollywood plum.

I bought it from Costco and it was marked green gage But the leaves that are starting to come out are red and the stems are red but I did notice green undertones in one of the leaves that was starting to come out. It looks like your tree is red under the leaf but then green with a red overlay on top? Will have to wait and see if the leaves on my tree look like that as they were just starting to peek out and then of course it snowed today so maybe late next week I will get a better look at the leaves, snow is already melting but there was a lot of it.

But it looks like your Hollywood plum is a generous producer, which makes me think it’s probably also a great pollinator

How do you like the flavor?