Second Apple Crop This Year

Here is what my Berlepsch apple decided to do. This is a picture taken today. A cluster of apples and more blossoms. Two apple crops in one year!!

1 Like

My Bartlett did this. Flowered towards the end of summer on its second year in the ground.

You didn’t do any summer pruning by any chance, did you?

1 Like

My Niedzwetzkyana apple bloomed in July…but didn’t get pollinated.

The only pruning I did was to cut out some fireblight branches in some of the trees. I do not believe that one tree had any to cut out. So , no, no pruning during the summer this year.
I have had some apple trees throw out some blooms this time of the year.Normally just a cluster but not three clusters and not any others that actually got pollinated to where they actually took to produce any fruit. These will probably not get to be ripe. It will be interesting to at least see how big they get. I only had maybe a dozen apples off of this year.

Do you suppose it self-pollinated?

1 Like

That is the only thing I can figure out that happened. My wife asked me the same question when we both saw the actual fruit starting to grow. I do have a lot of bees and other insects that hit up all my flowers all summer long. It was interesting to see the flowering at first and shocking to see the actual fruit.

1 Like